This apple fritters recipe is perfect for enjoying apples all year long. They’re yeast free and great to enjoy on a cold fall-winter morning. The vanilla cinnamon icing takes these to the next level.
Apple Fritters Baking Tips:
Feel free to use any milk besides goat or buttermilk in the vanilla icing.
If you do not have a cooling rack, place the iced donuts on a plate.
If you do not have an ice cream scoop, use 1 tablespoon or ¼ cup dry measuring cup to scoop your batter. If you use ¼ cup it will take longer to fry doughnuts.
Can you make ahead?
Fridge: Apple Fritters: Fritter are best the day of. Keep leftovers in an airtight container for 2 days.
Vanilla Cinnamon Icing: Can be made one day in advance and keep in an airtight container.
Reheating: Apple Fritters: Pop in a 350-degree oven for 8-10 minutes.
To make powdered cinnamon sugar: in a bowl mix 2 cups powdered sugar, 2 teaspoons cinnamon. Roll warm doughnuts in sugar.
To make cinnamon sugar: in a bowl mix 2 cups sugar, 2 teaspoons cinnamon. Roll warm doughnuts in sugar.
Common One to One Substitutions:
Cinnamon = Apple Spice
Milk of Choice or Non-Dairy Milk = Buttermilk
Granulated Sugar = Raw Cane Sugar
Gluten Free Flour = Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
Gala, Red Delicious, Fiji (Any apple) = Honeycrisp
Vegetable Oil = Canola Oil
what to serve with Apple Fritters?
- 1 medium honeycrisp apple peeled cored, cut in ¼ inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ cup raw cane sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 ½ teaspoons apple spice
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 1 cup buttermilk cold
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- canola oil for deep frying
Vanilla Apple Spice Icing:
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon apple spice
- 4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup milk
- Mix apples, cinnamon and salt in a bowl.
- In a bowl mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, kosher salt, and apple spice in large bowl to blend. Make a well in the center.
- Turn the heat to medium in a 5-quart pot add canola oil to 375 degrees. In another bowl mix together eggs, melted butter, buttermilk and vanilla. Pour into dry mix and stir until batter is blended. Fold in apples, until combined.
- When the oil is hot, use a cookie scoop or 2 tablespoons to form a rounded ball of dough, drop in oil and fry for 2 minutes per side. Place on a paper towel lined baking sheet and cool for 2 minutes.
- While fritters are frying, in a bowl mix together powdered sugar, apple spice, vanilla extract and milk. Icing should resemble heavy cream. Roll warm fritters in icing then place on a rack over a baking sheet to drain.
Made this recipe? Take a picture and tag me on Instagram (@kennethtemple_) or Facebook (@ChefKennethTemple)!