This post may contain Affiliate Links. Please see my Disclaimer for more details.
An asparagus pesto recipe is not something you see every day. My friend asked me to cook for her and this is some ingredients she had in her fridge and pantry. This is the dish I came up with asparagus and the flavors did not disappoint.
Asparagus Pesto Chicken with Vegetable Rice Cooking Tips:
This recipe has a few steps to it, to be more efficient in the kitchen, sit out all your ingredients.
Use your favorite piece of chicken for this recipe.
Can you make ahead?
Freezer: Jasmine Vegetable Rice: After rice cools off, store in a freezer storage bag. Keep in the freezer for 5 months max. Thaw 48 hours before using.
Fridge: Asparagus Pesto Chicken: After chicken cools off, place in an airtight container in the fridge for 7 days max.
Jasmine Rice: After rice cools off, place in an airtight container in the fridge for 7 days max.
Reheating: Asparagus Pesto Chicken: Pop in a 350-degree oven for 10-15 minutes.
Jasmine Rice: Bring a small amount of stock or water to a boil and stir in rice, cook until hot. *A ¼ cup of liquid will be enough for 1 cup.
latest Recipe Video:
Add your favorite vegetables to the vegetable rice.
Basmati is a great substitute for jasmine rice.
what to serve with Asparagus Pesto Chicken with Vegetable Rice?
Click here to subscribe to MY NEWSLETTER for easy and free recipes right into your inbox!
To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can use the Pin button on the recipe card, the sharing buttons above or below this post, or any of the photos above.
Tag me @kennethtemple_ and use #LezEat on Instagram to share your remakes with me, and don't forget to leave a star rating and comment below.
Asparagus Pesto Chicken with Vegetable Rice
- 1 lbs. chicken tenders
- zest of half a lemon
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons black pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons cayenne
- 1 ½ teaspoons Italian herbs
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- ½ medium onion chopped
- ½ red bell pepper chopped
- ½ orange bell pepper chopped
- 1 garlic clove chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger chopped
- 1 ¼ cup jasmine rice
- 2 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 12 asparagus trimmed
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 garlic clove chopped
- 2 cups basil leaves plus more for garnish
- 1 ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- 1-1 ½ cups olive oil
- Season chicken evenly on both sides with lemon zest, spices and herbs, sit to the side while you prepare the remaining components.
- In a pot over medium heat, add oil, onion and bell peppers cook for 3 minutes. Add garlic and ginger stir then add rice, salt and pepper cook for 1 minute, add stock bring to a boil reduce heat cover with lid and cook on low heat for 14 minutes.
- To make pesto, add enough water to a pot to cover asparagus bring water to a boil add 1 tablespoon of salt. Add asparagus and cook for 2-3 minutes depending on the thickness. Drain and add to a food blender. Add walnuts, garlic, basil, parmesan, black pepper, salt and cayenne. Cut on high and slowly add oil. Pesto should be smooth and not clumpy. If pesto is to thick add 1 tablespoon of water at a time until smooth.