Barbecue Shrimp and Grits
Shrimp and grits can be made in a variety of ways etouffee, lemon butter, curry, creamy tomato, chimichurri and that’s just a few but these are made with the iconic New Orleans barbecue shrimp over creamy grits.
Barbecue Shrimp & Grits
- 2 ½ cups water
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- To taste kosher salt
- 1 cup stone ground grits
- 1 cup green onions sliced
- Barbecue Shrimp:
- 2 dozen large shrimp body peeled, head and tail on
- 12 oz. beer of choice
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 teaspoons creole seasoning
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 sprig of rosemary chopped
- juice of 1 lemon
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 2 sticks unsalted butter cold diced
- jumbo lump crab meat optional
- Bring water, cream, salt and butter to a boil. Whisk in grits, lower heat to low and cover for 10 minutes until grits thicken. Serve grits on plate then mound shrimp on top; garnish with green onions.
- Heat heavy bottom skillet over med-high heat, add shrimp and cook for 2 minutes, add half of beer, worcestershire, creole seasoning, black pepper, rosemary and lemon juice. Cook for 1 minute, flip shrimp over. Stir in garlic and remove from heat.
- Add in butter and stir in a little at a time until sauce thickens. If butter starts to take a while to melt place pan back over low heat. Shrimp should be pink and in the shape of a “C”.
- Pour grits in a bowl and pour shrimp and sauce over top, garnish with green onions.