Barbecue Shrimp and Grits
This barbecue shrimp and grits recipe highlights the iconic New Orleans dish. Although we do not use a traditional bbq sauce, we still bring the flavor. A New Orleans bbq sauce is shrimp, lemons, rosemary, wine or beer, worcestershire and creole seasoning. No ketchup or brown sugar is used to make this bbq sauce.
Barbecue Shrimp and Grits Cooking Tips:
Sugar don’t go in grits. As long as you remember that you’ll be fine.
Regular grits or instant grits will work for this recipe.
Can you make ahead?
This dish is best made fresh.
latest Recipe Video:
If you’re allergic to shellfish you can make this recipe with your favorite fish.
Want to take it up a level? Add some jumbo lump crab meat.
Try using some different sauce for your shrimp instead of the New Orleans barbecue sauce.
what to serve with Barbecue Shrimp and Grits?
Barbecue Shrimp & Grits
- 2 ½ cups water
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- To taste kosher salt
- 1 cup stone ground grits
- 1 cup green onions sliced
- 2 dozen large shrimp body peeled, head and tail on
- 12 oz. beer of choice
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 teaspoons creole seasoning
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 sprig of rosemary chopped
- juice of 1 lemon
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 2 sticks unsalted butter cold diced
- jumbo lump crab meat optional
- Bring water, cream, salt and butter to a boil. Whisk in grits, lower heat to low and cover for 10 minutes until grits thicken.
- Heat heavy bottom skillet over med-high heat, add shrimp and cook for 2 minutes, add half of beer, worcestershire, creole seasoning, black pepper, rosemary and lemon juice. Cook for 1 minute, flip shrimp over. Stir in garlic and remove from heat.
- Add in butter and stir in a little at a time until sauce thickens. If butter starts to take a while to melt place pan back over low heat. Shrimp should be pink and in the shape of a “C”.
- Pour grits in a bowl and pour shrimp and sauce over top, garnish with green onions.
Made this recipe? Take a picture and tag me on Instagram (@kennethtemple_) or Facebook (@ChefKennethTemple)!