This post may contain Affiliate Links. Please see my Disclaimer for more details.
Growing up as a kid, we had pork and beans with hot dogs in them. My bbq baked beans recipe is my blend of the two. It’s an easy recipe to make for entertaining guests year around.
Bourbon BBQ Baked Beans
Use your favorite baked beans. I use Bush’s for this recipe.
You do not have to grill your sausage. However, you can cook them for 2-3 minutes in a skillet, remove from the skillet, then proceed with the recipe as written. Use your favorite sausage or smoked sausage for this recipe.
Mix the chili powder, dry mustard, kosher salt and cayenne together, and add it in three phases. Before you add the garlic, after you add the garlic, and after you add all the ingredients to the pot. This builds depth of flavor.
Can you make ahead?
Fridge: After baked beans cools off, place in an airtight container in the fridge for 7 days max.
Reheating: Turn on heat to medium, add all ingredients in a small or medium sauce pan, cook until mixture starts to boil. About 10 minutes or less.
Not a fan of bourbon, omit it from the recipe.
For this recipe, I used sugar-free ketchup to reduce the amount of overall sugar but traditional ketchup will do.
Light brown sugar is a great substitute for dark brown sugar.
Sausage substitutes: 1 lb. Ground Beef or 6-8 slices of bacon.
You can make these baked beans in crockpot: after you cook the onions, jalapenos and garlic. Add remaining ingredients to the crock pot and cook on low for 3 hours.
You can make these baked beans in instant pot: after you cook the onions, jalapenos and garlic. Add remaining ingredients to the cook on pressure cook for 20 minutes.
what to serve with Bourbon BBQ Baked Beans?
I’ve been making this recipe for years, and it always goes over well with guests. Whether you’re looking for a dish to bring to your next potluck or just want an easy recipe that you can make at home, give my bbq baked beans a try. And don’t forget to leave me a 5-star rating if you love them!
Click here to subscribe to MY NEWSLETTER for easy and free recipes right into your inbox!
To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can use the Pin button on the recipe card, the sharing buttons above or below this post, or any of the photos above.
Tag me @kennethtemple_ and use #LezEat on Instagram to share your remakes with me, and don't forget to leave a star rating and comment below.
Bourbon BBQ Baked Beans
- 12 oz. grilled smoked sausage sliced ¼ - ½ inch thick
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 medium onion chopped small
- 1 jalapeno chopped small
- 2 garlic cloves chopped fine
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- 2 29 oz. cans vegetarian baked beans
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- ¼ cup worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup bourbon
- 12-14 oz. bottle ketchup
- 1 bunch green onions sliced medium
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees, turn on the heat to medium, in a 5-quart pot add the avocado oil, onions and jalapeno, cook for 5 minutes. Add the garlic, stir once or twice. Add the chili powder, dry mustard, kosher salt, cayenne, baked beans, dark brown sugar, white vinegar, worcestershire, bourbon, ketchup and sausage, stir to combine, and bring to a boil. Pour in a 9 x 13 casserole dish, pop in the oven for 20 minutes. Serve hot and garnish with green onions.