BBQ Chicken with Herb Rice and Garlic Spinach
BBQ Chicken Breast with Garlic Spinach and Herb Rice
In the health world chicken breast get all the love, while chicken thighs are frowned upon for their moist-fatty flavor. The issue is chicken breast 3 oz. 140 calories and chicken thighs 3 oz. 170 calories are about the same for calories. Thighs have more calories and fat but I ok with that because I’m using proper portions and I’m using skinless thighs. However, this is a fantastic meal with tons of flavor and a slight Mediterranean inspiration. Tips for success: You can use bone-in, skin on thighs to save more on your budget but you will want to season the meat and not the skin because you will discard it after cooking. You will need to increase the cooking time to 40 minutes in the oven depending on the size. Turmeric has been known to have several health benefits, decreasing inflammation is one of them. I always buy a small bottle because a little goes a long way. You can buy pre-boil brown rice, like Uncle Ben’s to reduce the amount of cooking time on your rice. Just know what you save in time, you will spend it cost.
- Chef knife
- Cutting board
- Dry measuring spoons
- Liquid measuring cup
- 4 quart pot
- 8 quart pot
- Grill pan or Large skillet
- Baking sheet
- Small bowl
- 4 cups low sodium chicken stock
- ½ teaspoon dry thyme
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 cups minute brown rice
- ¼ cup chopped fine Italian parsley
BBQ Chicken Breast:
- 4-6 4 oz. chicken breast skinless boneless
- 2 teaspoons low sodium creole seasoning or poultry seasoning
- 1 cup BBQ Sauce
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fine garlic
- 32 oz. baby spinach
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven, turn on the heat to medium in a 4-quart pot add the chicken stock, dry thyme, kosher salt, brown rice. Stir rice with a fork, bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to low cook for 10 minutes. Once rice is finished, add the Italian parsley, stir to fluff and steam for 5 minutes.
- Season the chicken breast with ¼ teaspoon of creole seasoning on both sides. Turn on the heat to medium in a grill pan or heavy bottom skillet, heat for 2 minutes. Spray with cooking spray for 2 seconds, add chicken breast and cook for 2 minutes each side. Transfer to a foiled lined baking sheet, repeat with the next batch of chicken breast and pop in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove the chicken breast and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Chop breast into medium size pieces.
- Turn on the heat to medium in a medium size pot, add butter and avocado oil, once butter has melted add garlic, cook for 30 seconds, add the spinach in bunches, stir a few times, then add next batch. Once all of spinach has been added add kosher salt, black pepper and garlic powder, stir a few times and cook for 3 minutes.
- Serve 4 oz. of chicken breast with 1 oz. of bbq sauce, 4 oz. herb rice and 4 oz. of garlic spinach per serving.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees
Cooked this recipe?Let me know how it was!
Made this recipe? Take a picture and tag me on Instagram (@kennethtemple_) or Facebook (@ChefKennethTemple)!