BBQ Turkey Meatloaf with Sweet Mash & Squash
BBQ Turkey Meatloaf with Sweet Potato Mash and Sautéed Squash
Tips for success: I use panko bread crumbs for its thicker crumb which allows me to use less bread crumbs than traditional bread crumbs.
- Chef knife
- Cutting board
- Dry measuring spoons
- Liquid measuring cup
- Small skillet
- 5-quart pot
- Large skillet
- Small pot
- Baking sheet
- ¼ small onion chopped small
- ¼ bell pepper chopped small
- 1 celery stalk chopped small
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 2 lbs. 90/10 ground turkey
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- ¼ cup unsweetened cashew milk
- 2 ½ teaspoon low sodium creole seasoning or poultry seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
Sweet Potato Mash:
- 4 medium sweet potatoes washed peeled chopped medium
- ¼ teaspoon dry thyme
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup unsweetened cashew milk
- 1 tablespoon truvia brown sugar
- cooking spray (avocado, olive oil, coconut)
- 2 tablespoons garlic chopped fine
- 2 teaspoons low sodium creole seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ cup worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup water
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 yellow neck squash tops and bottom sliced medium
- 2 zucchini tops and bottom removed sliced medium
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- Preheat oven, turn on the heat to medium in a small skillet add avocado oil, onion, bell pepper and celery, cook for 2 minutes, stirring a few times, remove from skillet.
- In a bowl add ground turkey, panko bread crumbs, cashew milk, creole seasoning, kosher salt and vegetable mixture, mix for 1 minute until spices and vegetables are well combined. On a foiled lined baking sheet spray with cooking spray for 2 seconds. Add the meatloaf mixture and form into a football shape. Pop in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Turn on the heat to high in a large pot add sweet potatoes and dry thyme, cover potatoes with water and bring to a boil until the potatoes are fork tender about 25 minutes. Drain the sweet potatoes, add back to the pot, add kosher salt, cinnamon, nut milk and truvia, use a fork to mash sweet potatoes.
- Turn on the heat to medium in a medium size pot, spray with cooking spray for 3 seconds, add garlic, stirring once or twice, cook for 15 seconds. Add the creole seasoning and Italian seasoning. In a liquid measuring cup add the worcestershire, water, tomato paste and cornstarch, mix together until tomato paste is dissolved. Pour into the pot, bring mixture to a boil, then remove from heat.
- In a bowl add the yellow neck squash, zucchini, kosher salt, black pepper, garlic powder, Italian seasoning and avocado oil. Toss to combine making sure that the vegetables are evenly coated with seasoning and oil. Turn on the heat to medium high in a large non-stick skillet, heat for 1-2 minutes, add the vegetable mixture and cook for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees
Cooked this recipe?Let me know how it was!
Made this recipe? Take a picture and tag me on Instagram (@kennethtemple_) or Facebook (@ChefKennethTemple)!