The first recipe in my budget kuts series is stew meat and vegetables. Who would’ve thought all this time my family was feeding me gourmet French food? Anyway, the key to a good beef bourguignon is time. This dish is great for my crockpot cookers or for you to leave in the oven while you do chores around the house. The ingredients may seem like a lot but you’re just dumping everything into one pot.
Beef Stew with Vegetables a.k.a. Beef Bourguignon
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- ½ tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon cayenne
- 3 lbs. stew meat cut 1-1 ½ in cubes or chuck roast or rump roast
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion chopped large
- 2 carrots peeled, sliced
- 2 celery stalks chopped large
- 1 shallot chopped
- 2 garlic cloves smashed
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups unsalted beef stock
- 2 cups red wine blend or your favorite red wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 1 lbs. baby potatoes washed, halved
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 oz. white button mushroom washed, halved
- ½ cup parsley chopped
- In a bowl mix salt, pepper, garlic powder and cayenne together, season stew meat and sit to the side while you prep your remaining ingredients.
- Heat a heavy bottom pot over medium heat, add oil and cook stew meat for 2 minutes on each side or until evenly brown. Remove and sit to the side on a paper towel lined plate. In the same pot add, onion, carrot, celery and shallots cook for 2 minutes. Add garlic, thyme, oregano, bay leaves and flour. Stir to make sure vegetables are covered in flour. Slowly pour in beef stock while stirring to prevent lumps, add red wine, tomato paste, worcestershire sauce and beef. Bring to a simmer and cover with lid and pop in oven for 1 hour. Pour in potatoes and cover pop back in oven for 50 minutes. Remove from oven and check beef by piercing with a fork, should pierce with ease when done. In a skillet over medium heat add butter, and cook mushrooms for 5 minutes, should be slightly browned.
- Add mushrooms to pot taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Stir in half of parsley and serve hot and garnish with remaining parsley.