This post may contain Affiliate Links. Please see my Disclaimer for more details.
Beef stew with vegetables is the first recipe in my budget kuts series. Who would’ve thought all this time my family was feeding me gourmet French food? Anyway, the key to a good beef bourguignon is time.
This dish is great for my crock pot cookers or for you to leave in the oven while you do chores around the house. The ingredients may seem like a lot but you’re just dumping everything into one pot.
Table of Contents
Beef Stew with Vegetables Cooking Tips:
You can add some chopped bacon to the dish. First dice bacon and brown, remove from pot then brown beef in bacon fat. Add bacon back to pot when you add mushrooms.
Can you make ahead?
Freezer: You can make the beef stew in advance and place in an airtight container, after it cools off. Keep in the freezer for 3 months max. Thaw 48 hours before using.
Fridge: Beef stew can be made a day or two in advance. After sauce cools off, place in an airtight container in the fridge for 7 days max.
Reheating: Turn on heat to medium, add all ingredients in a small or medium sauce pan, cook until mixture starts to boil. About 10 minutes or less.
Latest Recipe Video:
You can use chuck roast, sirloin, short rib or rump roast in place of the stew meat.
Use your favorite red wine for this recipe.
what to serve with Beef Stew with Vegetables?
- Flatbread with Shallot Herb Butter
- Moist Southern Cornbread
- Orange Strawberry Cupcakes with Mascarpone Icing
Click here to subscribe to MY NEWSLETTER for easy and free recipes right into your inbox!
To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can use the Pin button on the recipe card, the sharing buttons above or below this post, or any of the photos above.
Tag me @kennethtemple_ and use #LezEat on Instagram to share your remakes with me, and don't forget to leave a star rating and comment below.
Beef Stew with Vegetables a.k.a. Beef Bourguignon
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- ½ tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon cayenne
- 3 lbs. stew meat cut 1-1 ½ in cubes or chuck roast or rump roast
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion chopped large
- 2 carrots peeled, sliced
- 2 celery stalks chopped large
- 1 shallot chopped
- 2 garlic cloves smashed
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups unsalted beef stock
- 2 cups red wine blend or your favorite red wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 1 lbs. baby potatoes washed, halved
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 oz. white button mushroom washed, halved
- ½ cup parsley chopped
- In a bowl mix salt, pepper, garlic powder and cayenne together, season stew meat and sit to the side while you prep your remaining ingredients.
- Heat a heavy bottom pot over medium heat, add oil and cook stew meat for 2 minutes on each side or until evenly brown. Remove and sit to the side on a paper towel lined plate. In the same pot add, onion, carrot, celery and shallots cook for 2 minutes. Add garlic, thyme, oregano, bay leaves and flour. Stir to make sure vegetables are covered in flour. Slowly pour in beef stock while stirring to prevent lumps, add red wine, tomato paste, worcestershire sauce and beef. Bring to a simmer and cover with lid and pop in oven for 1 hour. Pour in potatoes and cover pop back in oven for 50 minutes. Remove from oven and check beef by piercing with a fork, should pierce with ease when done. In a skillet over medium heat add butter, and cook mushrooms for 5 minutes, should be slightly browned.
- Add mushrooms to pot taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Stir in half of parsley and serve hot and garnish with remaining parsley.
Leave a Reply