This post may contain Affiliate Links. Please see my Disclaimer for more details.
Maque choux is a Native American dish made from corn. This dish ties the Northern Tribes (corn) with the Southwest tribes (black beans). This dish may become your new favorite way to eat corn. This side dish is an excellent healthy meal for a fast week night dinner.
Black Bean Maque Choux Cooking Tips:
Make sure to rinse of the black beans to remove any of the brining liquid. It’ll add a metallic flavor to your dish.
Can you make ahead?
Freezer: After black bean maque choux cools off, place in an airtight container. Keep in the freezer for 3 months max. Thaw 48 hours before using.
Fridge:After black bean maque choux cools off, place in an airtight container. Keep in the fridge for 7 days max.
Reheating: Bring a small amount of water to a boil and stir in black beans, cook until hot. *A 1/4 cup of liquid will be enough for 2 servings.
latest Recipe Video:
3 ears of corn are an equal substitute for 12 oz. frozen corn.
what to serve with Black Bean Maque Choux?
Click here to subscribe to MY NEWSLETTER for easy and free recipes right into your inbox!
To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can use the Pin button on the recipe card, the sharing buttons above or below this post, or on any of the photos above.
Tag me @kennethtemple_ on Instagram to share your remakes with me, and don’t forget to leave a star rating and comment below.
Black Bean Maque Choux
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 2 stalk celery chopped
- 1 jalapeño chopped
- 12 ounces frozen corn
- 1 tablespoon garlic chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 15 ounces canned black beans drained
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon fresh thyme
- ¼- ½ cup unsalted chicken stock
- In a heavy bottom pot over medium high heat, add oil and butter. Cook onions, bell pepper, celery, jalapeno and corn for 3-5 minutes. Add garlic, bay leaf, black beans, sugar, salt, black pepper, cayenne and thyme, cook for 2.
- Add chicken stock, bring to a boil and simmer mixture for 3-5 minutes. Serve hot as a side dish or add shrimp, chicken or steak to make it a main dish.