The second recipe in my budget kuts series is cabbage, sausage and potatoes. I mastered my cabbage from my Southern and Caribbean influences and New Orleans has a huge influence on its cuisine from the German’s, which is why our sausage is unmatched in flavor profile. All of these reasons are why this recipe is amazing. This recipe take about 30 minutes or more depending on how soft you like your cabbage.
Cabbage, Sausage & Potatoes with Southern Cornbread
- 1 lbs. baby potatoes washed, halved
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 12 oz. sausage use your favorite
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 head cabbage medium core removed, sliced
- ½ red bell pepper sliced
- ½ yellow bell pepper sliced
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon cayenne
- 1 ½ cup corn flour
- ½ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs beaten
- 2 tablespoons cold plus 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup buttermilk
- In a pot add potatoes and cover with water bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes, cut heat off and do not discard water.
- Take 2 tablespoons of butter and rub in cast iron skillet or 8x8 baking pan. In a bowl mix corn flour, flour, baking soda, baking powder, sugar and salt together. Stir in eggs, melted butter and buttermilk. Pour into cast iron and pop in oven for 20-25 minutes, remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before eating.
- Heat a heavy bottom pot over medium heat, add oil and cook sausage for 2-3 minutes until browned remove and sit to the side. Add onion and cook for 1 minute. Add cabbage, peppers, thyme, salt, pepper, garlic powder and cayenne, cover with water and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Add potatoes and cook for 10 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning, serve hot with some hot sauce and cornbread!