This post may contain Affiliate Links. Please see my Disclaimer for more details.
Nothing says home cooking like Cabbage, Sausage and Potatoes wit
The second recipe in my budget kuts series is cabbage, sausage and potatoes. I mastered my cabbage from my Southern and Caribbean influences and New Orleans has a huge influence on its cuisine from the German’s, which is why our sausage is unmatched in flavor profile. All of these reasons are why this recipe is amazing. This recipe take about 30 minutes or more depending on how soft you like your cabbage.
I use corn flour instead of corn meal because it provides a better corn flavor. You can use Jiffy if you’d like but this cornbread recipe will become a family staple.
Can you make ahead?
Freezer: Cabbage: You can make the cabbage in advance and place in an airtight container. Keep in the freezer for 3 months. Thaw 48 hours before using.
Cornbread: After cornbread cools, place in a freezer bag and keep in the freezer for 3 months. Thaw 12 hours before using.
Fridge: Cabbage: After cabbage cools off, place in an airtight container in the fridge for 7 days.
Cornbread: After cabbage cools off, place in an airtight container in the fridge for 7 days.
Reheating: Cabbage: Turn on heat to medium, add all ingredients in a small or medium sauce pan, cook until mixture starts to boil. About 10 minutes or less.
Cornbread: Pop in a 350-degree oven for 10-15 minutes.
latest Recipe Video:
If you cannot find baby potatoes small red potatoes work well.
Double the cornbread recipe to fit inside a 9 x 13 pan or a 12-inch cast iron.
what to serve with Cabbage, Sausage & Potatoes with Southern Cornbread?
Click here to subscribe to MY NEWSLETTER for easy and free recipes right into your inbox!
To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can use the Pin button on the recipe card, the sharing buttons above or below this post, or on any of the photos above.
Tag me @kennethtemple_ on Instagram to share your remakes with me, and don’t forget to leave a star rating and comment below.
Cabbage, Sausage and Potatoes with Southern Cornbread
Cabbage & Potatoes
- 1 lbs. baby potatoes washed, halved
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 12 oz. sausage use your favorite
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 head cabbage medium core removed, sliced
- ½ red bell pepper sliced
- ½ yellow bell pepper sliced
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon cayenne
- 1 ½ cup corn flour
- ½ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs beaten
- 2 tablespoons cold plus 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven 425 F. In a pot add potatoes and cover with water bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes, cut heat off and do not discard water.
- Take 2 tablespoons of butter and rub in cast iron skillet or 8×8 baking pan. In a bowl mix corn flour, flour, baking soda, baking powder, sugar and salt together. Stir in eggs, melted butter and buttermilk. Pour into cast iron and pop in oven for 20-25 minutes, remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before eating.
- Heat a heavy bottom pot over medium heat, add oil and cook sausage for 2-3 minutes until browned remove and sit to the side. Add onion and cook for 1 minute. Add cabbage, peppers, thyme, salt, pepper, garlic powder and cayenne, cover with water and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Add potatoes and cook for 10 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning, serve hot with some hot sauce and cornbread!