This post may contain Affiliate Links. Please see my Disclaimer for more details.
This Homemade Cashew Butter is smooth, creamy and delicious.
I used to buy a lot of cashew butter from the grocery store. One day, I decided to make my own homemade cashew butter recipe that wasn’t full of oil or other preservatives. A few ingredients create creamy magic.
Here's everything you'll need to make this incredible dish
- Cashews: You can buy cashews roasted or unroasted. I like to buy them unsalted and unroasted for personal preference but buying them roasted will save you a step.
- Salt: You need to salt to wake up flavors in everything and this cashew butter needs it. However, a little goes a long way.
- Oil: I prefer to use avocado oil because of the health benefits and natural flavor. However use any natural flavored oil (canola or vegetable) you have on hand except olive oil.
How do you make Cashew Butter
You may be surprised by how easy it is to make your own cashew butter; so let me tell you how.
Add the cashews, oil and salt to a food blender, blitz on medium for 30 to 45 seconds, until crumbled. Scrape the blender down, then blitz on high for 3 minutes, until smooth. If you would like it thicker reduce the amount of oil. Check the notes in the recipe card.
You can buy roasted cashews or you can buy raw unsalted unroasted cashews.
I like to unroasted, unsalted cashews.
How do you roast cashews?
You can roast your cashews as light, medium or dark. The option’s yours. Each brings its different flavor to the party.
Light Roast: Bake for 7 minutes.
Medium Roast: Bake for 10 minutes.
Dark Roast: Bake for 15 minutes.
What is cashew butter?
Cashew butter is a nut butter used as a substitute for peanut butter or almond butter. You can make the cashew butter in a food blender or food processor. This tip is for food processors: Add cashews to a food processor, blitz on high for 1 minute. Scrape the processor, add the oil and salt, then blitz on high for 5 minutes, until smooth.
How can you use cashew butter?
Anywhere you would use peanut butter, cashew butter is an excellent substitute.
Shakes, milkshakes, protein shakes, a dipping sauce, for a snack, in cookies, on waffles, or anywhere you love.
Can you make ahead?
Pantry: Cashew Butter: Store cashew butter in an airtight container in a cool dark place for 60 days.
Fridge: Cashew Butter: Store cashew butter in an airtight container in the fridge for 4 months.
Latest Recipe Video:
If you buy unroasted cashews, roast in a 350°F oven for 5-8 minutes.
Common One to One Substitutions:
Oil of Choice = Avocado Oil
Almonds or Peanuts = Cashews
Salted Cashews = Omit Salt in Recipe
what to serve with Cashew Butter?
- Asparagus and Wild Mushroom Risotto
- Mediterranean Stuffed Chicken Breast with Vegetables
- Chocolate French Toast
So, the next time you’re at the store and see cashew butter for $10 a jar, don’t forget that you can make your own for about $4. And it will taste so much better because it will be fresh! I hope you give this recipe a try – let me know how it goes by leaving me a 5-star review. Thanks for reading!
Click here to subscribe to MY NEWSLETTER for easy and free recipes right into your inbox!
To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can use the Pin button on the recipe card, the sharing buttons above or below this post, or any of the photos above.
Tag me @kennethtemple_ and use #LezEat on Instagram to share your remakes with me, and don't forget to leave a star rating and comment below.
- 1 cup unsalted roasted cashews
- 1 ½ tablespoon avocado oil
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Add the cashews, oil and salt to a food blender, blitz on medium for 30 to 45 seconds, until crumbled. Scrape the blender down, then blitz on high for 3 minutes, until smooth.