The fifth recipe in my budget kuts series is chocolate Mexican cake with cream cheese icing. I grew up in a house hold with desserts made from scratch but occasionally my mom would make a few desserts out the box for consistency, efficiency and time. Although that could be achieved by following great recipes. The thing that makes this cake Mexican is the addition of cinnamon, cayenne and chocolate flavors all in one bite. The thing that makes mine different and special is the cream cheese icing on top!
Chocolate Mexican Vanilla Cake
- Mexican Cake:
- 1 box dark chocolate fudge cake mix
- 1 cup crema Mexican sour cream
- 1/3 cup oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- Cream Cheese Icing:
- 8 oz. cream cheese soft
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter soft
- 1 lbs. powder sugar
- pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- bar of Mexican chocolate or dark chocolate garnish
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl to box instructions. Pour ½ of batter in a 9 x 13 greased can pan. Pop in oven and bake for 26-31 minutes in my oven it took 28 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 30 minutes before icing.
- In a bowl combine all ingredients for cream cheese icing and pour over cake and evenly distribute icing over cake. Chill for 1 hour in the fridge before slicing, grate Mexican chocolate over top and enjoy.