This post may contain Affiliate Links. Please see my Disclaimer for more details.
The fifth recipe in my budget kuts series is chocolate Mexican cake with cream cheese icing. I grew up in a house hold with desserts made from scratch but occasionally my mom would make a few desserts out the box for consistency, efficiency and time. Although that could be achieved by following great recipes. The thing that makes this cake Mexican is the addition of cinnamon, cayenne and chocolate flavors all in one bite. The thing that makes mine different and special is the cream cheese icing on top!
If you are using a dark coated pan preheat oven to 325 degrees.
You can find Mexican chocolate in the Mexican section of grocery stores or at your local Latin grocery store.
Can you make ahead?
Freezer: After you cut cake, individually wrap with plastic wrap. Then store in a freezer storage bag. Keep in the freezer for 5 months.
Fridge: After you cut cake, individually wrap with plastic wrap. Then store in a freezer storage bag. Keep in the fridge for 7 days.
Latest Recipe Video:
You can make a marble cake by using the following ingredients and just pour on top of chocolate batter then drag a butter knife through it making whatever design you like.You can use a white cake mix.
White Cake: 1 box classic white cake mix 1 cup water ⅓ cup oil 3 egg whites 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Mix all ingredients according to box instructions.
what to serve with Mexican Cake?
Click here to subscribe to MY NEWSLETTER for easy and free recipes right into your inbox!
To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can use the Pin button on the recipe card, the sharing buttons above or below this post, or any of the photos above.
Tag me @kennethtemple_ and use #LezEat on Instagram to share your remakes with me, and don't forget to leave a star rating and comment below.
Chocolate Mexican Vanilla Cake
- 1 box dark chocolate fudge cake mix
- 1 cup crema Mexican sour cream
- ⅓ cup oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- pinch salt
Cream Cheese Icing
- 8 oz. cream cheese soft
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter soft
- 1 lbs. powder sugar
- pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- bar of Mexican chocolate or dark chocolate garnish
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl to box instructions. Pour ½ of batter in a 9 x 13 greased can pan. Pop in oven and bake for 26-31 minutes in my oven it took 28 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 30 minutes before icing.
- In a bowl combine all ingredients for cream cheese icing and pour over cake and evenly distribute icing over cake. Chill for 1 hour in the fridge before slicing, grate Mexican chocolate over top and enjoy.