This post may contain Affiliate Links. Please see my Disclaimer for more details.
I will always remember the smell of the holidays because of the stuffed bell peppers. I'm sure if you're not from the south you might not have the same food memory but the recipe below will surely create a new one.
Now, the only rule to New Orleans stuffed bell peppers is to avoid using rice at all costs. I've seen others use rice and I'm not sure where that started but please don't be the friend who does this.
If you follow my crawfish stuffed bell peppers recipe you are sure to please an entire room full of your loved ones with this one dish.
Crawfish Stuffed Bell Peppers Cooking Tips:
It is traditional in New Orleans to stuff a bell pepper with, onion, celery, bell pepper, ground beef, shrimp and ham.
You would cook those ingredients down with some salt, black pepper, and cayenne. Oh, and you cannot forget the garlic and bread crumbs. Cut the bell pepper down the middle clean out the insides, fill it with the stuffing and sprinkle it with more bread crumbs on top for color and texture. In 20 minutes, you'll be experiencing deliciousness.
Can you make ahead?
Fridge: After stuffed bell peppers cools off, place in an airtight container in the fridge for 7 days max.
Reheating: Pop in a 350-degree oven for 10-15 minutes.
latest Recipe Video:
You can use turkey in place of ground beef and if you have shellfish allergies omit the crawfish. I use about ¼ teaspoon of kosher salt to taste.
Use 1 pound of large shrimp and 1 ½ pounds of ham for traditional stuffed peppers.
what to serve with Crawfish Stuffed Bell Peppers?
- Buttered Mash Sweet Potatoes
- 20 minute Creole Jambalaya
- New Orleans Seafood File Gumbo
- Crawfish Etouffee
Click here to subscribe to MY NEWSLETTER for easy and free recipes right into your inbox!
To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can use the Pin button on the recipe card, the sharing buttons above or below this post, or any of the photos above.
Tag me @kennethtemple_ and use #LezEat on Instagram to share your remakes with me, and don't forget to leave a star rating and comment below.
Crawfish Stuffed Bell Peppers
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 ½ lbs. 80/20 ground beef
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 4 celery stalks chopped
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 4 teaspoons Creole seasoning
- 2 teaspoons cayenne
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 tablespoon unsalted butter
- to taste salt
- 1 lbs. Louisiana crawfish
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 4 bell peppers halved, core removed
- 1 bunch green onions sliced
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat and heat 2 tablespoons of oil and cook ground beef for 6 minutes.
- Add onions, bell pepper and celery cook for 3 minutes.
- Add garlic, creole seasoning, cayenne, thyme and bay leaves.
- Stir in butter and salt cook for 3 minutes.
- Add crawfish, ½ cup bread crumbs and adjust seasoning. Stuff bell peppers evenly and sprinkle with remaining bread crumbs. Bake for 20 minutes in 400 °F oven.
- Garnish with green onions and enjoy!