First, to all my traditional Italians I want to apologize because I know traditionally you do not mix cheese and seafood. Well, my New Orleans roots do not abide by those rules. This recipe has the love an amazing pesto pasta cooked in a casserole of love. The lemon, basil and pesto mixture blends well with the cheese sauce and just brightens the flavors of the seafood.
Creamy Pesto Seafood Lasagna
- 4 oz. basil
- 1 zest of lemon
- Juice of 2 lemon
- 8 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes
- 3/4 cup olive oil plus 2 tablespoons
- Cream Sauce:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups half and half
- 1 cup parmesan shredded
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons savory NOLA seasoning
- 1 lbs. lasagna noodles cooked
- 5 oz. baby spinach
- 2 lbs. shrimp peeled, deveined, tail off
- 1 lbs. crab claw meat shells removed
- 4 cups mozzarella provolone blend shredded
- ½ cup parsley chopped
- In a food processor add basil, lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, 1 cup parmesan, salt, pepper and chili flakes. Blitz for 10 seconds, add olive oil and blitz for 1 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Heat a sauce pot over medium heat, then melt butter and stir in flour, pour half and half in thirds. Make sure there’s no lumps. Add parmesan and savory seasoning. Bring to a boil and stir occasionally making sure cheese is fully melted.
- In two bowls season shrimp and crabmeat with 1 teaspoon of NOLA seasoning and stir.
- In a 9 x 13 pan, add a few spoonsful of sauce to bottom of pan and smear evenly across. Then layer a few pieces of lasagna then add some pesto, shrimp, crabmeat, spinach, ¼ cup of sauce and 1 cup of cheese, repeat to the top layer. Pop in oven and reduce heat to 350 F for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and garnish with parsley.