Creole stew Chicken
Growing up as a kid my auntie Gail stew chicken was my favorite thing to eat. I had to pay her homage with my Creole stew chicken recipe.
Creole stew Chicken Cooking Tips:
Don’t skip the frying step. This is the foundation flavor of the whole recipe. You can fry it without the flour if you’d like.
Stew chicken is good the day of but it’s true flavor shines the next day.
You can make this recipe in the crock pot. After you cook everything place in crock pot,cook on low for 2 to 3 hours.
You can make this recipe in an instant pot. After you cook everything place in instant-pot, cook on pressure cook for 30 minutes.
Can you make ahead?
Freezer: After stew chicken cools off, place in an airtight container in the freezer for 3 months. Thaw 48 hours before using.
Fridge: Stew chicken can be made a day or two in advance. Place in an airtight container in the fridge for 7 days max.
Reheating: Turn on heat to medium in a small or medium sauce pot, cook until mixture starts to boil. About 10 minutes or less. *Depends on how much you’re reheating.
latest Recipe Video:
One to One Common Substitutions:
Any piece of chicken = whole chicken
Favorite oil = Canola oil
Diced Tomatoes = Tomato Sauce
what to serve with Creole stew Chicken?
- 1 whole chicken 3-4 lbs., cut in 8-10 pieces
- 4 teaspoons creole seasoning or meat seasoning: below
- 1 large onion medium diced
- 1 bell pepper medium diced
- 2 stalks celery medium diced
- 6 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 cups flour
- canola oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 rosemary stem
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 4 parsley sprigs ¼ cup chopped, garnish
- 15 oz. diced tomatoes
- 2 quarts unsalted chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- To taste salt
- To taste black pepper
- In a heavy bottom pot over medium heat, fill with 1/3 oil enough to cover the chicken. Season chicken with creole seasoning, once oil is hot, dredge chicken in flour, and fry chicken in batches for 3 minutes each side. When the last batch is done remove oil leaving about 2 tablespoons, add onion, bell pepper and celery cook for 3 minutes add garlic, chicken, herb bundle (bay leaf, rosemary stem, sprigs of thyme, sprigs of parsley, tied with butcher string), tomatoes, stock, and worcestershire, the liquid should cover the chicken by 2 inches.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes. Taste the stew and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Remove the herb bundle and serve over white or brown rice.
- Note: Do not skip the step of frying the chicken because it adds flavor and gives the stew its body.
- Meat seasoning: 3 tablespoons salt, 2 tablespoons black pepper, 1 tablespoon white pepper, 1 tablespoon cayenne, 1 tablespoon paprika, 1 tablespoon granulated garlic, 1 tablespoon granulated onion, 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
Made this recipe? Take a picture and tag me on Instagram (@kennethtemple_) or Facebook (@ChefKennethTemple)!