Dirty rice is one of those dishes that’s so simple that people mess it up all the time. The secret to a good dirty rice is organ meat. Gizzards, heart or liver will work just fine. I hope you’re not turned off because the combination of these flavors makes something magical.
Dirty Rice Cooking Tips:
You want to cook the ground meat until it gets crispy and leaves a brown fond on the bottom of the skillet. This is what brings the depth of flavor to the dirty rice.
Don’t be afraid of the chicken gizzards.
Can you make ahead?
Freezer: You can make the dirty rice in advance and place in an airtight container. Keep in the freezer for 3 months max. Thaw 48 hours before using.
Fridge: After rice cools off, place in an airtight container in the fridge for 7 days max.
Reheating: Bring a small amount of stock or water to a boil and stir in dirty rice, cook until hot. *A 1/4 cup of liquid will be enough for 1 cup.
latest Recipe Video:
You can use brown rice for a healthier meal.
what to serve with Dirty Rice?
- 2 lbs. gizzards and hearts
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 lbs. rice cooked
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 lbs. ground chuck
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 3 stalks celery chopped
- 6 garlic cloves chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire
- 1 tablespoon dry oregano
- 1 tablespoon savory seasoning or creole seasoning
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 bunch green onions chopped
- In a pot add gizzards, hearts, salt and cover with water then bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes. Skim off water as gizzards cook. Do not discard water.
- Cut the gizzards from the sinew and add gizzards and hearts to food processor and blitz on high for 1 minute or until it resembles ground meat.
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, heat oil once oil is hot add ground beef and cook until water evaporates about 5 minutes. Add onions, bell pepper and celery cook for 3 minutes then add garlic, bay leaves, worcestershire, oregano, savory, salt, cayenne and gizzards cook for 1 minute. Add 1/2 cup of gizzard stock scraping bottom of pot.
- Fold in rice and 1/4 green onions making sure it’s coated evenly. Taste and adjust seasoning, garnish with green onions serve hot.
If you make this recipe, make sure to take a picture and share it on Instagram or Facebook and tag me @kennethtemple so we all can see that deliciousness!