This post may contain Affiliate Links. Please see my Disclaimer for more details.
This asparagus soup recipe is a delicious answer of what to do with the woody ends of asparagus.
Table of Contents
How do you make asparagus soup from scratch?
Step 1: Turn the heat on medium in a medium pot, add oil and onions, cook for 2 minutes. Add garlic and asparagus stems, stir a few times. Add the salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning, cook for 30 seconds. Add the chicken stock, bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low and cook for 15 minutes.
Step 2: Transfer soup in batches to a food blender, blitz on high for 1 minute, until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning. Evenly divide among 4 bowls and garnish each with 3 asparagus tips.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are the most asked questions about making homemade asparagus soup
This recipe is the solution to the woody ends of asparagus. Making this soup is an excellent way of eliminating waste. Making a soup is not an option; use them to make a stock with them for easy homemade vegetable stock.
Asparagus soup becomes stringy using thicker asparagus; I recommend using asparagus similar thickness to a #2 pencil. Also, straining your soup will help remove any stringy components.
Although asparagus is available year-round, asparagus is a spring vegetable and offers the best nutritional value from late February to June. March and April is peak season. You’ll be able to buy more for less.
Asparagus is rich in nutrients, folate, vitamin A, vitamin K, and fiber. It also has benefits with helping with weight loss, improved digestion (fiber), and lowering blood pressure because it acts as a natural diuretic (allows the body to remove excess salt and fluid).
Can you make ahead?
Fridge: Asparagus Soup: You can make soup one day in advance.
Freezer: Asparagus Soup: Soup can be made in advance and place in an airtight container after it cools off. Keep in the freezer for 3 months. Thaw 24-48 hours before using.
Reheating: Asparagus Soup: Bring a small amount of stock, water or milk to a boil and stir in soup, cook until hot. *A ¼ cup of liquid will be enough for 1 cup.
Common One to One Substitutions:
Oil of choice = Avocado Oil
Non-Dairy Cream = Heavy Cream
Granulated Sugar = Raw Cane Sugar
what to serve with Asparagus Soup?
- Garlic Bread
- Shaved Parmesan
Click here to subscribe to MY NEWSLETTER for easy and free recipes right into your inbox!
To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can use the Pin button on the recipe card, the sharing buttons above or below this post, or any of the photos above.
Tag me @kennethtemple_ and use #LezEat on Instagram to share your remakes with me, and don't forget to leave a star rating and comment below.
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 2 garlic cloves chopped fine
- 2 lbs. asparagus stems sliced, woody ends discarded
- 6 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 12 cooked asparagus tips garnish
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream garnish
- Turn the heat on medium in a medium pot, add oil and onions, cook for 2 minutes. Add garlic and asparagus stems, stir a few times. Add the salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning, cook for 30 seconds. Add the chicken stock, bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low and cook for 15 minutes.
- Transfer soup in batches to a food blender, blitz on high for 1 minute, until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning. Evenly divide among 4 bowls, garnish each with 3 asparagus tips and 1 tablespoon heavy cream.
Leave a Reply