This post may contain Affiliate Links. Please see my Disclaimer for more details.
This Fried Chicken Mac and Cheese recipe are what happens when you decide to combine Soul Food classics and just go for it. The result was creamy, cheesy macaroni with seasoned chunks of fried chicken.
Fried Chicken Mac n Cheese
Making a roux ensures that you have a creamy cheese sauce. Make sure you add your milk in 1/3 to make sure you cook out the flour taste.
Can you make ahead?
Fridge: After mac n cheee cools off, place in an airtight container in the fridge for 7 days max.
Reheating: Pop in a 350-degree oven for 10-15 minutes or bring a small amount of milk to a boil and stir in mac n cheese, cook until hot. *A 1/4 cup of liquid will be enough for 1 cup.
Tenderloins or chicken thighs are a great substitute instead of breast.
Have fun and use different combinations of your favorites cheeses. White cheese’s melt better than yellow.
what to serve with Fried Chicken Mac N Cheese?
Click here to subscribe to MY NEWSLETTER for easy and free recipes right into your inbox!
To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can use the Pin button on the recipe card, the sharing buttons above or below this post, or on any of the photos above.
Tag me @kennethtemple_ on Instagram to share your remakes with me, and don’t forget to leave a star rating and comment below.
Fried Chicken Mac & Cheese
- 3 chicken breast 1 inch dice
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cayenne
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 tablespoon dry thyme
- 1 tablespoon dry oregano
- 1 ½ cups flour
- Canola oil for frying
Mac N Cheese
- 1 lbs. elbow macaroni cooked
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 quart half and half
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 4 cups sharp cheddar
- 2 cups mozzarella
- In a bowl add chicken, buttermilk and spices, stir together let sit for 30 minutes-1 hour in refrigerator. Heat oil to 375 degrees; over medium heat in a large skillet. Dredge chicken in flour and fry for 5 minutes; if frying in batches hold finished chicken in 200-degree oven.
- Cook pasta in boiling water for 6 minutes.
- In a pot over medium heat melt butter, then add flour and whisk together for 30 seconds. Add salt, pepper, garlic and dry mustard.
- Whisk in half and half in thirds, then add cream. Bring to a boil once boiling add 2 cups cheddar and 1 cup mozzarella. Reduce heat to medium low and stir until cheese has melted. Add macaroni, 1/3 fried chicken and mix thoroughly.
- Pour in mac and cheese into a greased 9 x 13 casserole dish sprinkle 1/3 fried chicken and the remaining cheese over top. Pop in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until cheese has browned evenly. Remove from oven and top with remaining chicken.