Fried Chicken Mac n Cheese
This fried chicken mac n cheese recipe is what happens when you decide to combine to classic favorites and just go for it.
Fried Chicken Mac n Cheese Cooking Tips:
Making a roux ensures that you have a creamy cheese sauce. Make sure you add your milk in 1/3 to make sure you cook out the flour taste.
Can you make ahead?
Fridge: After mac n cheee cools off, place in an airtight container in the fridge for 7 days max.
Reheating: Pop in a 350-degree oven for 10-15 minutes or bring a small amount of milk to a boil and stir in mac n cheese, cook until hot. *A 1/4 cup of liquid will be enough for 1 cup.
Tenderloins or chicken thighs are a great substitute instead of breast.
Have fun and use different combinations of your favorites cheeses. White cheese’s melt better than yellow.
what to serve with Fried Chicken Mac N Cheese?
Fried Chicken Mac & Cheese
- 3 chicken breast 1 inch dice
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cayenne
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 tablespoon dry thyme
- 1 tablespoon dry oregano
- 1 ½ cups flour
- Canola oil for frying
Mac N Cheese
- 1 lbs. elbow macaroni cooked
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 quart half and half
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 4 cups sharp cheddar
- 2 cups mozzarella
- In a bowl add chicken, buttermilk and spices, stir together let sit for 30 minutes-1 hour in refrigerator. Heat oil to 375 degrees; over medium heat in a large skillet. Dredge chicken in flour and fry for 5 minutes; if frying in batches hold finished chicken in 200-degree oven.
- Cook pasta in boiling water for 6 minutes.
- In a pot over medium heat melt butter, then add flour and whisk together for 30 seconds. Add salt, pepper, garlic and dry mustard.
- Whisk in half and half in thirds, then add cream. Bring to a boil once boiling add 2 cups cheddar and 1 cup mozzarella. Reduce heat to medium low and stir until cheese has melted. Add macaroni, 1/3 fried chicken and mix thoroughly.
- Pour in mac and cheese into a greased 9 x 13 casserole dish sprinkle 1/3 fried chicken and the remaining cheese over top. Pop in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until cheese has browned evenly. Remove from oven and top with remaining chicken.
If you make this recipe, make sure to take a picture and share it on Instagram or Facebook and tag me @kennethtemple so we all can see that deliciousness!