Garlic Chicken with Yellow Rice and Broccoli
Grilled Garlic Thighs with Yellow Rice and Broccoli
In the health world chicken breast get all the love, while chicken thighs are frowned upon for their moist-fatty flavor. The issue is chicken breast 3 oz. 140 calories and chicken thighs 3 oz. 170 calories are about the same for calories. Thighs have more calories and fat but I ok with that because I’m using proper portions and I’m using skinless thighs. However, this is a fantastic meal with tons of flavor and a slight Mediterranean inspiration. Tips for success: You can use bone-in, skin on thighs to save more on your budget but you will want to season the meat and not the skin because you will discard it after cooking. You will need to increase the cooking time to 40 minutes in the oven depending on the size. Turmeric has been known to have several health benefits, decreasing inflammation is one of them. I always buy a small bottle because a little goes a long way. You can buy pre-boil brown rice, like Uncle Ben’s to reduce the amount of cooking time on your rice. Just know what you save in time, you will spend it cost.
- Chef knife
- Cutting board
- Dry measuring spoons
- Liquid measuring cup
- 4 quart pot
- 8 quart pot
- Grill pan or Large skillet
- Baking sheet
- Small bowl
- 2 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups minute brown rice
- 1 2/3 cup frozen peas
- 2 medium tomato chopped medium
Garlic Chicken Thighs:
- 8 4 oz. chicken thighs skinless boneless
- 4 teaspoons low sodium creole seasoning or poultry seasoning
- cooking spray (avocado, olive oil or coconut)
- 12 garlic cloves chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- ¼ cup chopped Italian parsley
- 4 heads broccoli florets and stem sliced thin
- 1 gallon water
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Preheat the oven, turn on the heat to medium-high in a 4-quart pot add the chicken stock, turmeric, kosher salt and brown rice, bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to medium cook for 10 minutes. When there’s 5 minutes left, stir in peas and tomatoes, cover and cook until rice is done. Once rice is finished, stir to fluff and steam for 5 minutes.
- Season the chicken thighs with ¼ teaspoon of creole seasoning on both sides. Turn on the heat to medium in a grill pan or heavy bottom skillet, heat for 2 minutes. Spray with cooking spray for 2 seconds, add chicken thighs and cook for 2 minutes each side. Transfer to a foiled lined baking sheet, repeat with the next batch of chicken thighs and pop in the oven for 25 minutes. In a small bowl mix the garlic, avocado oil and Italian parsley. Add 1 tablespoon of garlic oil to chicken thighs with 10 minutes remaining. Remove the chicken thighs and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Chop thighs into medium size pieces.
- Turn on the heat to high in a large pot filled with water, bring to a boil, add broccoli and cook florets for 3 minutes. Drain broccoli in a colander. Turn on the heat to medium in the same pot add butter, once melted add broccoli, kosher salt and black pepper, stir to combine.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees
Cooked this recipe?Let me know how it was!
Made this recipe? Take a picture and tag me on Instagram (@kennethtemple_) or Facebook (@ChefKennethTemple)!