This post may contain Affiliate Links. Please see my Disclaimer for more details.
This is Grilled Mushroom Pesto Pizza recipe, may seem like a challenge because of the homemade dough. This recipe is a labor of love that’s full of delicious rewards. It’s great to make with the family because you can give everyone a task. You can add additional toppings but make sure they’re pre-cooked before adding to your pizza.
This recipe does require a time commitment. I like to start the dough in the morning, let the first rise happen while I knock out an errand, then let the second rise happen 1 hour before I’m ready to eat.
Grilled Mushroom Pesto Pizza
If your pizza is not a perfect rectangle or circle, good, that’s the homemade touch.
Here’s a trick I like for proofing dough in a warm place: Cut the oven temperature to 170°F, turn off, add the dough, then leave the door ajar so it’s not too hot. The perfect temperature to proof dough is 81°F.
To save time for the future, after dough rises the first time, punch down, shape into ball, and freeze in freezer storage bags. Dough will be good for 3 months. Pick recipe up at step 4 if pesto is already made.
Cut dough in half to make two smaller personal pan pizzas.
I use a mixture of shiitakes, oysters and white button. Feel free to use any mushrooms, you can get your hand on.
The recipe calls for the pesto to be smooth. It should have a slightly chunky texture from the cheese.
Adding a layer of cheese first acts as a barrier to keep your pizza from being soggy.
You can bake this pizza in the oven in a 500-degree oven, bake for 10-12 minutes. Flash bake the dough for 5 minutes without the cheese, remove from the oven add remaining ingredients then bake. This allows the crust to cook, without burning the cheese.
Place the pizza closest to the heating source, some ovens heat from the top others from the bottom. Just place your hand in the hot oven to feel where the heat is primarily coming from.
Can you make ahead?
Freezer: Pizza Dough: Dough can be made and frozen. Will remain fresh for 3 months. Thaw 48 hours before using.
Fridge: Pizza Dough: Dough can be made one day in advance. Pesto: Pesto can be made one or two days in advance. Keep in an airtight container for 14 days.
Reheating: Pizza: Pop in a 350-degree oven for 8-10 minutes.
Common One to One Substitutions:
Store-bought Pizza Dough = Fresh Pizza Dough
Store-bought Pesto = Fresh Pesto
Instant Rise Yeast = Dry Active Yeast
Any Oil = Avocado Oil
Mushrooms = Any of your favorite meats and toppings
All Purpose Flour = Bread Flour
500°F oven = 500°F grill
what to serve with Grilled Mushroom Pesto Pizza ?
- Mediterranean Stuffed Chicken Breast with Sauteed Vegetables
- New Orleans Spicy Chicken Pasta
- Oxtail Quesadillas
Ready to tackle this Grilled Mushroom Pesto Pizza recipe? It’s definitely a labor of love, but the end result is so worth it. I promise you and your family will love it. Make sure to follow the tips I shared for making the perfect pizza dough. And don’t forget to add those delicious grilled mushrooms! Once you do, you can top with whatever toppings your heart desires. Just make sure they’re pre-cooked first otherwise they won’t be as crispy on your pizza. Leave me a 5-star rating if you give this recipe a try!
Click here to subscribe to MY NEWSLETTER for easy and free recipes right into your inbox!
To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can use the Pin button on the recipe card, the sharing buttons above or below this post, or any of the photos above.
Tag me @kennethtemple_ and use #LezEat on Instagram to share your remakes with me, and don't forget to leave a star rating and comment below.
Grilled Mushroom Pesto Pizza
- 1 cup + 1 tablespoon warm water
- 1 package of active dry yeast
- 3 cups bread flour plus more for kneading
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons avocado oil
- 4 oz. basil
- zest of 1 small lemon
- Juice of 2 small lemons
- 8 garlic cloves smashed
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes
- ¾ cup olive oil plus 2 tablespoons
- 4 tablespoons avocado oil
- 16 oz. mushrooms cleaned and sliced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup grated parmesan
- 8 oz. fresh mozzarella sliced
- 4 fresh basil leaves torn
- Make pizza dough: In a large bowl stir together the water and yeast. Stir in 1 cup of flour and 2 tablespoons avocado oil, until smooth, set aside for 5 minutes until little bubble starts to rise to the top.
- In another bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, and salt. Stir the dry ingredients into the yeast bowl until a soft ball of dough forms. Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface, and knead dough 60 times or until dough is smooth. Shape into a ball, place in a bowl that has 1 tablespoon of oil, place dough in top side down to coat with oil, flip over, cover with a towel or plastic wrap, and place in a warm spot for 40 minutes to 1 hour, until the dough has doubled in size.
- While the dough is rising, make pesto. In a food processor, add the basil, lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, 1 cup parmesan, kosher salt, pepper, and chili flakes. Pulse 10 times, add the olive oil and blitz on high for 30 seconds, or until pesto is smooth.
- Make mushrooms: Turn on the heat to medium in a medium pot, add the oil, wild mushrooms, salt, and black pepper, cook for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Place on a plate lined with paper towels to drain.
- Second proof: Pour 4 tablespoons of avocado oil on a baking sheet and spread evenly over the baking sheet pan and rim. Lightly dust a surface with flour, punch dough down and flatten into a disc shape. Then with one hand slightly turn the dough, while using the other hand to form dough into a disc shape. Do this about 12 times, pick the dough up and let gravity do 99% of the work and turn to let dough stretch. Place dough on the baking sheet and mold the dough to fit the baking sheet. If the dough tears pinch back together. Cover and place in a warm spot for 40 minutes to 1 hour, untildough has double in size.
- Preheat grill to 500 degrees. After the dough has finished rising the second time, use your fingers to release the air from the dough, and create a 1-inch border to be your crust. Evenly spread ½ cup parmesan, then spread pesto over the dough, leaving a 1-inch border from edge. Then add mozzarella, mushrooms, and ¼ cup of parmesan. Bake in a closed grill for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Preheat heat broiler to hi. Place oven rack 1 level away from the broiler. When the pizza is finished on the grill place under the broiler for 1 minute or until cheese is bubbling brown. Transfer pizza to cutting board, cut pizza, garnish with remaining parmesan, and basil. Serve hot.
Leave a Reply