Grilled Shrimp Chimichurri
With the amazing abundance of large gulf shrimp moving through the city, I have another amazing grilled shrimp chimichurri recipe for you that’s inspired by Argentina.
The mother sauce of Argentina is chimichurri sauce. There are many variations as with all regionally traditional dishes. You find that each family does it slightly different than their neighbors.
Chimichurri is a very simple sauce that packs more flavor the longer you let it sit. So, I would say make the sauce two days in advance.
Grilled Shrimp Chimichurri Cooking Tips:
A 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt, usually does the job for my taste.
If you do not have a grill pan just use a heavy bottom skillet like a cast iron.
Can you make ahead?
Fridge: Chimichurri: This sauce is best on the day it’s made. Place in an airtight container in the fridge for 2 days max.
Grilled Shrimp: After shrimp cools off, place in an airtight container in the fridge for 4 days max.
Reheating: Grilled Shrimp: Pop in a 350-degree oven for 5-8 minutes.
latest Recipe Video:
Not a fan of spicy food, cut out the white pith in the jalapeno. If you are a fan of spicy food try making it with a serrano pepper.
This recipe works well with fish too.
what to serve with Grilled Shrimp Chimichurri?
Grilled Shrimp Chimichurri
- ¼ cup oil
- 2 tablespoons Savory seasoning or all-purpose seasoning
- 28 large shrimp peeled, tail on and deveined
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- kosher salt to taste
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice 1 lemon
- ½ cup Italian leaf parsley chopped
- ½ cup olive oil
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter optional
- 2 zucchini seeded, sliced
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 red bell pepper seeded, sliced
- 1 sprig of fresh thyme
- 2 garlic cloves sliced
- 7 ounces baby spinach leaves
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- In a bowl mix oil and savory seasoning, then toss shrimp until evenly coated. Let sit at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- For chimichurri place all ingredients in a food processor, pulse 5-10 times.
- Heat oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, add oil, butter, onions, bell pepper and zucchini. Cook for 4 minutes, add thyme, 2 teaspoons of blackening seasoning and a pinch of salt. Add garlic, spinach, 1 teaspoon of blackening seasoning, stir until spinach is wilted. Taste and adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat a grill pan over high heat. Once hot grill shrimp in batches for 2-3 minutes each side. Once shrimp are cooked, drizzle chimichurri sauce over. Serve vegetables on the side.
Made this recipe? Take a picture and tag me on Instagram (@kennethtemple_) or Facebook (@ChefKennethTemple)!