With the amazing abundance of large gulf shrimp moving through the city, I have another amazing shrimp dish for you that’s inspired by Argentina.
The mother sauce of Argentina is chimichurri sauce. There are many variations as with all regionally traditional dishes. You find that each family does it slightly different than their neighbors.
Chimichurri is a very simple sauce that packs more flavor the longer you let it sit. So, I would say make the sauce two days in advance.
The sauce has a few ingredients parsley, garlic, salt, red wine vinegar, oregano, jalapeño or chili flakes. Pop it, in a blender for 30 seconds and you have a magic sauce. If you want to make it real traditional make the sauce in a mortar and pestle.
Next for the shrimp, just season them up with my blackening seasoning, let them marinate for 15 minutes. Then grill them for a few minutes on each side and cover with some of the chimichurri deliciousness.
Grilled Shrimp Chimichurri with Vegetables
- ¼ cup oil
- 2 tablespoons Savory Blackened Seasoning
- 28 large shrimp peeled, tail on and deveined
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- salt to taste
- 1 jalapeno 1 serrano or 1 tablespoon red chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice 1 lemon
- ½ cup Italian leaf parsley chopped
- ½ cup olive oil
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter optional
- 2 zucchini seeded, sliced
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 red bell pepper seeded, sliced
- 1 sprig of fresh thyme
- 2 garlic cloves sliced
- 7 ounces baby spinach leaves
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- In a bowl mix oil and savory seasoning, then toss shrimp until evenly coated. Let sit at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- For chimichurri place all ingredients in a food processor, pulse 5-10 times.
- Heat oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, add oil, butter, onions, bell pepper and zucchini. Cook for 4 minutes, add thyme, 2 teaspoons of blackening seasoning and a pinch of salt. Add garlic, spinach, 1 teaspoon of blackening seasoning, stir until spinach is wilted. Taste and adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat a grill pan over high heat. Once hot grill shrimp in batches for 2-3 minutes each side. Once shrimp are cooked, drizzle chimichurri sauce over. Serve vegetables on the side.