This post may contain Affiliate Links. Please see my Disclaimer for more details.
These jerk salmon cakes with coconut rice recipe was inspired by my auntie. I remember as a kid my dad always mentioning that my auntie made amazing fish cakes but somehow, he never brought me to my aunt’s house or any home to try. It’s a shame because I was always raised that teasing was wrong. I never had any of my aunt’s fish cakes but I did get her to give me the inside scoop on how she makes them.
My aunt told me that her fish of choice was cod. “You want a nice flakey white fish and catfish won’t do.” She would bake her fish, let it cool, then use a fork to flake it. Place some onions and celery in the food processor and boil some potatoes and mash them to bind the cakes. Then she would mix them together, divide them and toss in breadcrumbs to add some color when she pan-fried them in oil.
Did I mention I still have not had her fish cakes?!
I took that advice that she gave me and put my twist on it.
Jerk Salmon Cakes with Coconut Rice Cooking Tips:
Double the recipe and keep some in a glass jar in your refrigerator for easy access.
There’s one note I must say. You cannot make jerk with any other pepper besides scotch bonnets. They have the perfect blend of sweet and heat. That’s something that habenero, jalapeño, serrano or thai bird chiles do not possess. If you cannot find any scotch bonnets locally. You usually can find some scotch bonnet hot pepper sauce. I recommend starting with 3 tablespoons for every pepper. If you like more heat add more.
The jerk paste should be hot to the tongue if you taste it before you cook it. That means it’s perfect! Once you place it in the fish cakes or marinate it with chicken that heat will tone down.
Can you make ahead?
Freezer: Coconut Rice: After rice cools off, place in a freezer storage bag. Keep in the freezer for 3 months max. Thaw 48 hours before using.
Fridge: Jerk Salmon Cakes: After cakes cools off, place in an airtight container in the fridge for 7 days max.
Jerk Sauce: Sauce can be made a day or two in advance. After sauce cools off, place in an airtight container in the fridge for 30 days max.
Coconut Rice: Rice can be made a day or two in advance. After rice cools off, place in an airtight container in the fridge for 7 days max.
Reheating: Jerk Salmon Cakes: Pop in a 350-degree oven for 10-15 minutes.
Coconut Rice: Bring a small amount of stock, water or milk to a boil and stir in rice, cook until hot. *A 1/4 cup of liquid will be enough for 1 cup.
latest Recipe Video:
You can use any fish that’s been cooked. Just make sure to flake them. Flake use the back of a fork to separate the fish.
what to serve with Jerk Salmon Cakes with Coconut Rice?
Click here to subscribe to MY NEWSLETTER for easy and free recipes right into your inbox!
To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can use the Pin button on the recipe card, the sharing buttons above or below this post, or on any of the photos above.
Tag me @kennethtemple_ on Instagram to share your remakes with me, and don’t forget to leave a star rating and comment below.
Jerk Salmon Cakes with Coconut Rice
- 3 tablespoons all spice whole
- 2 scotch bonnet
- 8 green onions
- 1 onion chopped
- 8 garlic cloves
- 1/3 cup fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoon lime juice
- Zest of 1 lime
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup plus ½ cup
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 1 lb. salmon cooked, flaked (flounder, mahi mahi, cod, crab)
- 1 onion chopped small
- 1/2 bell pepper chopped small
- 1 celery chopped small
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons jerk paste
- 2 cups fine bread crumbs
- 4 to 5 tablespoons oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cups jasmine rice
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2 cups chicken stock
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup toasted shaved coconut
- Add all jerk ingredients except chicken stock in the blender blitz until smooth.
- In a food processor add onions, bell pepper, celery and garlic pulse 5-7 times; in a bowl add fish, vegetable mix, mayonnaise, jerk paste and ½ cup bread crumbs mix together.
- Form into cakes with ½ cup, in a bowl dredge bread crumbs roll cakes on both sides. In a large skillet heat oil over medium heat, add cakes and cook for 1-2 minutes each side.
- In a sauce pot over medium heat add butter once hot sauté onions for 2 minutes add jasmine rice and cook for 1 minute, stir in coconut milk, stock, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover and turn heat to low simmer for 15-20 minutes. Fold in toasted shaved coconuts.
- For sauce: In a food processor add ½ cup ketchup, ½ cup jerk paste and ½ cup chicken stock blitz for 15 seconds and pour in dish.
1 thought on “Jerk Salmon Cakes with Coconut Rice”
Love it! The sauce is out if this world ????!