Tips for success: This is a simple pizza, it only has a few ingredients, sauce, cheese and basil. If you want to add additional toppings, make sure they’re precooked before adding to your pizza. Adding a layer of cheese before the sauce acts as a barrier that will keep your pizza from being soggy. I use the broiler for the last 1 minute to give my pizza that leopard spotting on the crust which I think adds tons of flavor. If your broiler is in the bottom section of your oven, keep your pizza in the oven until it’s hot then transfer your pan to broiler. If your pizza is not a perfect rectangle or circle, good that’s the homemade touch.
- Large mixing bowl
- Dry measuring cups
- Dry measuring spoons
- Liquid measuring cups
- Chef knife
- 3 cups bread flour plus more for kneading
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 package of active dry yeast
- 1 cup + 1 tablespoon warm water
- 6 tablespoons oil
- 1 29 oz. can of tomato sauce
- 1 ½ teaspoon garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 4 large fresh basil leaves chopped fine
- 1 cup grated parmesan
- 8 oz. fresh mozzarella sliced
- 4 fresh basil leaves torn
- In a large bowl, stir the bread flour, sugar, kosher salt and yeast together. Add the warm water and 2 tablespoons oil and stir together until a soft ball of dough forms. Transfer dough to a floured surface and knead dough 60 times. Add 1 tablespoon of oil to a bowl, place dough in the bowl, cover with a towel and place in a warm oven for 45 minutes. Dough will double in size. Punch dough down, shape into a ball, cover with film wrap and place in the fridge overnight.
- In a medium bowl add the tomatoes, garlic, sugar, kosher salt, black pepper, oregano and basil, stir together, transfer extra to an airtight container.
- The next day remove dough 20 minutes before baking. This will allow the dough to relax and will make it easier to shape pizza. For two 12 inch pizzas, cut the dough in half and shape into two balls. For a sheet pan pizza proceed with recipe.
- Preheat the oven, place 1 sheet pan in the oven or sheet pan pizza, stretch dough with both hands, allowing gravity to do 95% of the work. Once you have stretched the dough out, transfer it to a baking sheet pan that has 2 tablespoons of oil on it that has been smeared evenly all over the sheet pan and rim. Mold the dough to fit the sheet pan and evenly pierce dough with a fork.
- For two 12 inch pizzas, stretch the dough out and shape into a circle. Fold dough in half and transfer to an oiled baking sheet pan. Evenly pierce dough with a fork.
- Evenly spread ½ cup of parmesan over the crust, then add 1 ¼ cups of sauce and evenly spread over the crust, leaving a 1-inch border from edge. Then add mozzarella and basil. Place the rack on the second level from your broiler. Pop in the oven on top of the preheated sheet pan for 12 minutes. Cut the broiler on high and cook pizza for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Cut pizza in slices and enjoy it.
Made this recipe? Take a picture and tag me on Instagram (@kennethtemple_) or Facebook (@ChefKennethTemple)!