Making pies can be challenging but the answer to solving your pie troubles is an galette. A galette is an open face pie with whatever you want to fill it with regardless if it’s savory or sweet. This recipe uses fresh strawberries, blackberries and blueberries.
Mixed Berry Galette
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1 stick unsalted butter cold, cut into tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- ¼-½ cup flour
- Mixed Berries:
- ½ pint strawberries washed, tops removed, sliced
- 6 ounces blackberries washed
- 6 ounces blueberries washed
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar dark or light
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- juice of half a lemon
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Mexican vanilla
- pinch of salt
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 tablespoons sugar garnish
- 7 mint leaves chopped, garnish
- pint your favorite ice cream
- Add flour, sugar, salt, and apple pie spice pulse 3 times to combine. Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal with a few pea-size pieces of butter remaining. Drizzle in water until dough ball forms (adding another tablespoonful of water if needed). Transfer dough to a ball and cover tightly with plastic wrap and chill for at least 45 minutes.
- In a bowl mix strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, cornstarch, brown sugar, black pepper, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, vanilla and salt let sit for 10 minutes.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to a 12" round. Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Mound berry mix in center of dough, leaving a 2" border. Fold edges over, overlapping slightly. Brush dough with beaten egg and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake galette for 40–45 minutes. Garnish with mint let cool, serve with scoop of ice cream.