New Orleans Baked Mac & Cheese
New Orleans Baked Mac & Cheese Cooking Tips:
Make sure to add your half and half in thirds. This will allow you to cook the flour taste out of your roux.
You can use a variety of cheese in this mac and cheese recipe. I’ve used from one cheese to five. Let your heart be merry.
Add a sprig of chopped rosemary to the sauce to give it a different flavor.
You may need to rotate your pan of baked spaghetti, half through baking to get even browning.
Can you make ahead?
Freezer: Baked Macaroni and Cheese: Keep in the freezer for 3 months max. Thaw 48 hours before using.
Fridge: Baked Macaroni and Cheese: Cheese sauce can be made one day in advance.
Reheating: Baked Macaroni and Cheese: Bake in a 350-degree oven for 10-15 minutes.
Latest Recipe Video:
Common One to One Substitutions:
Spaghetti = Macaroni
what to serve with New Orleans Baked Mac & Cheese?
New Orleans Baked Mac and Cheese
- 1 lb. spaghetti
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 quart half and half
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 4 cups sharp cheddar
- 4 cups mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Cook pasta in boiling water for 6 minutes.
- In a pot over medium heat melt butter, then add flour and whisk together for 30 seconds. Add salt, pepper, cayenne and garlic.
- Whisk in half and half in thirds, then add cream. Bring to a boil once boiling add 2 cups cheddar and 1 cup mozzarella. Reduce heat to medium low and stir until cheese has melted.
- Add the spaghetti into a 9 x 13 casserole dish, add 1 cup of mozzarella and 1 cup of cheddar. Pour cheese sauce over, stir to combine, sprinkle the remaining cheese over top. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until cheese has browned evenly.
If you make this recipe, make sure to take a picture and share it on Instagram or Facebook and tag me @kennethtemple so we all can see that deliciousness!