Juneteenth is the celebration of the end of slavery.
Red food dominates the dinner menu during the Juneteenth, whether it’s barbecue, red velvet cake, red soda, hibiscus tea, watermelon or strawberries. Southerners have many tales on the reason why red food is used during the celebration from the bloodshed of millions of slaves to rituals of the Asante tribe. To put my twist on it I’m using two of my favorite foods biscuits and brisket.
Red Velvet Biscuits with BBQ Brisket
- Red Velvet Biscuits:
- 2 ¼ cup flour plus ½ cup-1 cup for rolling
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter cold
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 1 oz. red dye
- BBQ Brisket:
- 2 lbs. brisket partial fat cap removed
- 2 tablespoons savory blackening seasoning or season salt
- 4 cups of favorite bbq sauce
- Collard Green Slaw:
- 1 bunch collards washed, stems removed, sliced
- ¼ head red cabbage washed, stem removed, sliced
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- In a large bowl add flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar stir together with hand. Slice butter into flour and with hands blend until coarse. Make a hole in middle then add buttermilk and red dye. Mix until a dough is formed, pour on floured work surface and knead 5 times and roll out to 1/4 inch (right past point on your finger. Cut with floured biscuit cutter. Add to baking sheet and pop in oven for 15-17 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 250 F. Season brisket evenly on both sides and on a foiled lined baking sheet, add brisket and pop in the oven for 5 hours. Remove from the oven and pour 3 cups of bbq sauce over and sit to the side to cool for 30 minutes. After brisket has rested slice and sit to the side.
- In a bowl mix mayonnaise, vinegar, salt and pepper together, toss collards and cabbage and sit to the side for 10 minutes before serving.
- To assemble: slice biscuit in half and add as much brisket as you like, add 2 tablespoons of bbq sauce, collards then place top layer biscuit and enjoy.