This post may contain Affiliate Links. Please see my Disclaimer for more details.
My red velvet pound cake with spiked egg nog recipe, made me a fan! This cake is a rum cake 10 x!
Many people are informed that red velvet is just chocolate cake with red food coloring but it's not. Most red velvet cakes only has 2 tablespoons - ¼ cup of cocoa powder.
Red Velvet Pound cake with
Spiked Egg Nog baking Tips:
This recipe is for a bundt pan with a dark finish. If you’re bunt pan doesn’t have a dark finish increase temperature to 325 degrees bake for 1 hour 20 minutes.
Can you make ahead?
Freezer: After you cut the cake, individually wrap with plastic wrap. Then store in a freezer storage bag. Keep in the freezer for 5 months max. Thaw 48 hours before using.
Fridge: After you cut the cake, individually wrap with plastic wrap. Then store in a freezer storage bag. Keep in the fridge for 7 days max.
You can use a plant based red dye in place of traditional red dye.
When egg nog is not in season I use this recipe to make a red velvet rum cake.
what to serve with Red Velvet Pound cake with
Spiked Egg Nog?
Click here to subscribe to MY NEWSLETTER for easy and free recipes right into your inbox!
To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can use the Pin button on the recipe card, the sharing buttons above or below this post, or any of the photos above.
Tag me @kennethtemple_ and use #LezEat on Instagram to share your remakes with me, and don't forget to leave a star rating and comment below.
Red Velvet Pound Cake with Spiked Eggnog
Red Velvet Cake
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon dark chocolate coco powder
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ cups canola oil
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 oz. red dye
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup egg nog
Spiked Egg Nog
- 2 ½ oz. Captain Morgan Spiced Rum
- 2 ½ oz. Jack Daniel’s Whisky
- 4 oz. egg nog
Egg Nog Icing
- 1 lbs. powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ cup eggnog
- In a bowl add flour, baking soda, salt and coco powder and mix together.
- In another bowl with a hand mixer beat eggs and sugar until lemon colored. Add oil, vinegar, red dye and vanilla. In same bowl mix in flour and egg nog alternating between the two, finish with flour.
- Pour batter in a greased cake pan and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes. While cake is hot, mix together rum, whisky and egg nog and pour evenly over cake. Allow to cool for 20 minutes, wrap cake with plastic wrap loosely and chill in refrigerator overnight.
- Remove cake from refrigerator and place in 350˚F oven for 5 minutes. This helps the cake release from the pan.
- In a bowl mix together powdered sugar, vanilla, salt, nutmeg and egg nog. Then pour evenly over cake.