Skirt Steak Tacos
These skirt steak tacos, scream Taco Tuesday. These tacos will hit the spot and satisfy your hunger.
Skirt Steak Tacos Cooking Tips:
Make the Mexican bbq sauce, pickled onions and jalapenos and herb salsa, while the steak marinates for 1 hour or make them a day in advance.
Can you make ahead?
Fridge: Steak: After steak cools off, place in an airtight container in the fridge for 7 days max.
Herb Salsa: Place in an airtight container in the fridge for 4 days max.
Mexican BBQ Sauce: After bbq sauce cools off, place in an airtight container in the fridge for 30 days max.
Pickled Onions and Jalapenos: After it cools off, place in an airtight container in the fridge for 30 days max.
Reheating: Steak: Pop in a 350-degree oven for 10-15 minutes.
Mexican BBQ Sauce: Turn on heat to medium, add all ingredients in a small or medium sauce pan, cook until mixture starts to boil. About 10 minutes or less. *Depends on how much you’re reheating.
latest Recipe Video:
You can skip letting marinating the steak for 1 hour. Only season it right before you cook it.
Feel free to use your favorite cut of steak.
The recipe calls for corn tortillas, feel free to use flour tortillas.
what to serve with Skirt Steak Tacos?
Skirt Steak Tacos
- 2 pounds skirt steak or sirloin flap
- ¼ cup Savory seasoning or seasoning salt
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 12 corn tortillas toasted
- 1 cup Mexican bbq
- herb salsa garnish
- pickled onions and jalapeno’s garnish
Mexican BBQ Sauce:
- 10 ounces red enchilada sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 chipotles pepper in adobo sauce
- 2 garlic cloves
- 5 ounces orange juice
Pickled Onions and Jalapenos:
- 1 cup water
- 1 large red onion sliced thin
- ¾ cup white vinegar
- ¾ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon black pepper ground
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon chili flakes
- ½ bunch parsley chopped
- ½ bunch cilantro chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice of 1 lemon
- pinch salt
- pinch black pepper
- ½ cup olive oil
- In a bowl mix savory seasoning, coriander, cumin and chili powder. Season both sides of steak evenly. Let sit at room temperature for a maximum of 1 hour. Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat and cook steak for 2 minutes each side for rare, 3 minutes each side for medium rare, 5 minutes each side for medium, 6 minutes each side for medium-well. Let steak sit for 10 minutes before slicing.
- While steak is cooking in a pot over medium heat add enchilada sauce, tomato paste, chipotle pepper, garlic and orange juice. Stir together and bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook for 5 minutes. Pour in a blender and blitz on high for 1 minute. After steak comes off grill baste ½ cup of sauce over top. Use remaining as a dipping sauce.
- In a nonreactive saucepan bring water to a boil, add red onions and remove from heat, after 1 minute. Add vinegars, sugar, salt, bay leaf, oregano, black pepper, cumin, chili flakes. Bring to a boil for 3 minutes. Cover and let cool, in mixture. Place in glass jar or non-reactive bowl for one day before enjoying.
- To make herb salsa, place all ingredients except oil in a bowl, then slowly stir in oil. Adjust seasoning and taste.
- To assemble in each taco place 2 slices of steak, 1 tablespoon herb salsa and garnish with pickled onions and jalapenos.
If you make this recipe, make sure to take a picture and share it on Instagram or Facebook and tag me @kennethtemple so we all can see that deliciousness!