Sous Vide jerk Chicken
Jerk chicken is made for the grill but I’ve had my Joule sous vide machine for a few months, and I’ve only used it twice. I decided to make one of my favorite chicken recipes and see what would happen. Magic in a vacuum bag! I have provided tips on how to still have that sous vide effect without the sous vide machine.
Sous-Vide Cooking tips:
No sous vide bag and machine, no problem. Place chicken in freezer storage bags, close 7/8 of the way, about enough room for a straw to fit through. Add one bag at a time in the water, suck the remaining air out of the bag then close completely. Repeat with the other bag. If you do not have a joule bring the water to a simmer, add bags of chicken and cook for time specified in recipe. Check water every 20 minutes to make sure water does not go above 165 degrees. Ketchup is a great substitute for tomato paste. If you have a grill, you can use it instead of the broiler.
Can you make ahead?
Freezer: After you chicken has cooled. Place in a freezer storage bag. Keep in freezer for 3 months max. Thaw in the freezer for 48 hours. Reheat in a 350-degree oven for 15-20 minutes.
Fridge: After you chicken has cooled. Place in a freezer storage bag. Keep in fridge for 7 days max. Reheat in a 350-degree oven for 15-20 minutes.
You can skip the sous-vide part and grill chicken over indirect heat for 45-60 minutes.
what to serve with jerk chicken?
This post has Amazon affiliate links. I get commissions for purchases made through links in this post.
Sous-Vide Jerk Chicken
- 1 whole chicken washed split in half
- 1 tablespoon creole seasoning and poultry seasoning
- 1 jar Walkerwoods jerk paste
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ cup low sodium chicken stock
- Pierce the chicken with a knife evenly all over. Then season the chicken evenly with creole seasoning on both sides. Then rub 2 tablespoons jerk paste on both sides evenly over. Place 1 half of chicken, 1 sprig of thyme and 2 bay leaves in sous-vide bag, repeat with other chicken.
- Heat a large pot of water with sous-vide machine, bring water to 149 degrees, place chicken in water bath and cook for 1 hour and 30 minutes. While chicken cooks, make jerk bbq sauce, in a medium bowl mix together 4 tablespoons jerk paste, tomato paste and chicken stock.
- Preheat broiler on high, place rack on the second or third level from the broiler. Remove the chicken from pot and let cool for 5 minutes. Place chicken on a greased foiled lined baking sheet, cut the leg and thighs from the breast, pop in the oven and cook for 5 minutes, brush chicken with jerk bbq sauce, pop in the oven for 5 minutes. Flip chicken over, cook for 5 minutes, then brush chicken with jerk bbq sauce, pop back in the oven for 5 minutes and brush with jerk bbq sauce. Chop chicken in pieces, serve hot with sauce on the side.
If you make this recipe, make sure to take a picture and share it on Instagram or Facebook and tag me @kennethtemple so we all can see that deliciousness!