This post may contain Affiliate Links. Please see my Disclaimer for more details.
This Spanish Mac and Cheese recipe was inspired by a recent trip to New York. I had to make mac n cheese, and two other chefs were preparing empanadas. One of the chefs took some of her empanada fillings and placed on top of my mac n cheese, and that triggered an idea to do a Spanish hamburger helper.
Spanish Mac n Cheese Cooking Tips:
Make sure to under cook your pasta. The pasta will continue to cook when you add it to the sauce.
Can you make ahead?
Fridge: Mac n cheese can be made a day or two in advance. After it cools off, place in an airtight container in the fridge for 7 days max.
Reheating: Pop in a 350-degree oven for 10-15 minutes.
latest Recipe Video:
You can use 90/10 ground beef or ground turkey to make this a healthier dish.
You can find achiote at your local Latin grocery store. It adds a deeper red color. If you cannot find it just use an equal amount of paprika.
what to serve with Spanish Mac n Cheese?
- New Orleans Baked Mac n Cheese
- Roasted Garlic Meatballs & Spaghetti
- Chicken Spinach Alfredo Flatbread
Click here to subscribe to MY NEWSLETTER for easy and free recipes right into your inbox!
To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can use the Pin button on the recipe card, the sharing buttons above or below this post, or any of the photos above.
Tag me @kennethtemple_ and use #LezEat on Instagram to share your remakes with me, and don't forget to leave a star rating and comment below.
Spanish Mac and Cheese
Spanish Ground Beef
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 lbs. 80/20 ground chuck
- ½ onion chopped
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 chipotle in adobo sauce chopped
- 15 oz. tomato sauce
- ¾ cup sliced green olives
- ½ cup red currants or raisins
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- 2 teaspoons achiote
- ½ bunch cilantro chopped, garnish
Mac n Cheese
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 ½ cups half and half
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 2 cups manchego cheese shredded
- 8 oz. elbow macaroni cooked
- 2 cups gruyere cheese shredded
- To make Spanish ground beef:
- Heat a heavy bottom skillet over medium heat, add oil and ground beef cook for 5 minutes until water evaporates. Add onion and bell pepper cook for 3 minutes. Add remaining ingredients except for cilantro. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 10 minutes.
- To make mac n cheese:
- Heat a pot over medium heat add butter once melted add flour and make blonde roux. Add salt, pepper, garlic powder, dry mustard.
- Add half and half in thirds. Add cream cheese and 2 cups manchego cheese. Stir until sauce thickens about 2 minutes. Stir in elbow macaroni. Stir in half of the beef mixture and place the remaining on top. Top with gruyere and pop in oven until cheese melts. Garnish with cilantro, serve hot.