This post may contain Affiliate Links. Please see my Disclaimer for more details.
This Steak Sandwich with Creamy Horseradish Sauce is full of deliciousness from the marinated grilled steak, grilled onions, creamy sauce, and crispy bread. This sandwich is easy to make and will satisfy whoever you make it for.
Here are some more delicious steak recipes to add to your repertoire: Steak Egg & Cheese Tacos, Black Pepper Steak Stir-Fry, Grilled Coriander Steak with Salsa Verde, Grilled Skirt Steak with Chimichurri, and Skirt Steak Tacos.
Grilled steak sandwiches are the perfect Labor Day meal. They're easy to make, and they taste delicious! This steak sandwich is made with a simple horseradish sauce that will leave your mouth watering for more. To give this steak sandwich some extra flavor, you can also add onions or bell peppers.
With only a few ingredients and no cooking required, you can have the steak sandwiches ready in 30 minutes. Best of all, the steak is sure to be delicious because it's grilled over high heat. Grilling gives steak that nice char flavor while sealing in the juices. The best part about this recipe is that it doesn't require much skill or time either - anybody can do it!
To make this fantastic steak sandwich, you will need the following key ingredients:
I decided to use skirt steak because it's easy to get the marinade to penetrate the meat. Plus, it cooks extremely fast, which means we get to enjoy our steak sandwich sooner.
Cumin is my favorite spice for steak. I love the earthy flavor of meat, especially when cooked over high heat, as this steak sandwich recipe requires.
The creamy horseradish sauce perfectly complements steak and onions, delivering just enough flavor and spice without being too overwhelming.
Onions can be overpowering sometimes, but red onions offer a nice mild sweetness and crunchy contrast to the steak and creamy sauce.
I used ciabatta bread for this steak sandwich because it's hearty enough to stand up to all of that delicious steak, onions, and horseradish sauce.
Steak Sandwich Ingredients
Here are the ingredients you'll need to make this mouthwatering steak sandwiches.
¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon black pepper
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
2 teaspoons cumin
5 garlic cloves, smashed
2 teaspoons dry oregano
½ teaspoon cayenne
3 lbs. skirt steak
1 large red onion, sliced ½ inch thick
4 ciabatta buns, toasted
4 red leaf lettuce leaves
Creamy Horseradish Sauce:
1 ¼ cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon horseradish
½ teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons chopped chives
How to Make a Steak Sandwich?
Having a dish that pleases the steak lover in your family is essential. Here's what you'll need to make some outstanding steak sandwiches.
Preheat grill to 425°F degrees, using the indirect heat method. In a food processor, add ¼ cup olive oil, salt, black pepper, smoked paprika, cumin, garlic, dry oregano, and cayenne; blitz on high for 30 seconds until smooth.
Add steaks to a bowl or storage bag, pour marinade over steaks, close the bag and rub marinade in steak to ensure there evenly coated. Set aside for 20 minutes at room temperature.
Add steak to the grill and cook for 2 minutes on each side, then move to the cold side of the grill, cover and cook for 5 minutes for medium temperature. Increase cooking times for medium-well or well done. Let steaks rest for 5 minutes before thinly slicing.
In a small bowl, combine the remaining oil and red onions. Grill onions over direct heat for 3-4 minutes until tender. If onions are cooking too fast, move to the cold side of the grill and continue cooking.
While steaks rest, make the horseradish sauce. In a medium bowl, combine mayonnaise, horseradish, salt, black pepper, and chives until smooth.
Assemble sandwiches by spreading a heaping tablespoon of horseradish mayonnaise on both sides of buns, place grilled onions, lettuce, grilled steak, and top bun.
If you want to make this dish ahead of time, here's how to do it:
Steak Sandwich – The steaks can be prepared a day in advance and stored in the fridge in an airtight container for 7 days. It will also be kept in the freezer for up to 2 months. If frozen, let it thaw in the fridge for 24 hours before using it. Reheat in a 350°F oven for 8-10 minutes. Then, assemble your sandwich.
Creamy Horseradish Sauce- The sauce can be prepared a day in advance and stored in the fridge in an airtight container for 14 days.
Steak Sandwich Recipe Tips & Tricks:
Here are some of my top tips and tricks to help you make this dish:
- Cut the grilled steak across the grain to ensure you have a tender cut. Cutting against the grain helps the steak melt in your mouth and will improve the overall eating experience.
- Adding salt to your marinade helps the flavors penetrate the steak.
- If you find sirloin flap meat, you can swap that for skirt steak.
- A little horseradish goes a long way, and you can always add more, so don't go overboard.
- Feel free to swap out rib-eye, flank steak, or sirloin flap.
- You can also swap out the olive oil for canola oil, vegetable oil, or avocado oil.
- Feel free to use any bread you love for sandwiches.
- You can use sour cream in place on mayonnaise for the creamy horseradish sauce.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about steak sandwiches:
What is horseradish?
Horseradish is a root that has been grated and mixed with vinegar to create the condiment. The flavor can vary from spicy to mild, so you only need one tablespoon of horseradish if it's too overpowering for your liking. The majority of wasabi sold in US sushi restaurants is horseradish with green dye.
What are the best cuts of steak for a sandwich?
You can use any steak you like for your steak sandwich. However, there are a couple of go-to steaks I recommend. These steaks are great for grilling and have an excellent fat: meat ratio. This ratio equals flavor.
- Skirt Steak
- Sirloin Flap (Skirt Steak Meatier Cousin)
- Flank Steak
- Sirloin Steaks
What's the best cheese for a steak sandwich?
Cheese on steaks is a personal preference. Here's a list of the best cheeses:
Cheddar: This is an excellent cheese because it melts well and adds an extra kick of flavor. The sharpness works perfectly with the steak and onions.
Provolone: Provolone melts perfectly to create a creamy blend of flavors.
Swiss: This is another cheese that will melt perfectly. It also adds in some nutty notes, which pair well with steak.
Gouda: Goudas are Dutch cheeses that add a creamy texture and nutty flavor.
Blue Cheese: Blue cheeses can be sharp or mild. It adds an interesting taste that many people enjoy but may not be for everyone.
What toppings are good with a Steak Sandwich?
There are so many toppings you can add to your recipe. All of them will change the overall taste and texture, but here are some additions are:
- Bell Peppers
- Pepperoncini Peppers
- Cheese Sauce
- Ranch Dressing
What to serve with Steak Sandwich?
There are so many side dish options that pair well with a good steak sandwich. Here are a few sides: There are so many side dish options that pair well with a good steak sandwich. Here are a few sides: Fried Onion Rings, Macaroni and Cheese, BBQ Baked Beans, Jasmine Vegetable Rice, and Arugula & Pomegranate Salad.
This recipe is perfect for Labor Day, tailgating, or any other cookout you have planned. It's quick and straightforward to make- with just a few ingredients that are easy to find at your local grocery store. I hope this steak sandwich will be the star of all your future gatherings! Leave me a 5 Star Review below in the comments section if you loved it as much as I do.
Click here to subscribe to MY NEWSLETTER for easy and free recipes right into your inbox!
To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can use the Pin button on the recipe card, the sharing buttons above or below this post, or any of the photos above.
Tag me @kennethtemple_ and use #LezEat on Instagram to share your remakes with me, and don't forget to leave a star rating and comment below.
Steak Sandwich with Creamy Horseradish Sauce
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 5 garlic cloves smashed
- 2 teaspoons dry oregano
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- 3 lbs. skirt steak
- 1 large red onion sliced ½ inch thick
- 4 ciabatta buns toasted
- 4 red leaf lettuce leaves
- 1 ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon horseradish
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- Preheat grill to 425°F degrees, using the indirect heat method. In a food processor add ¼ cup olive oil, salt, black pepper, smoked paprika, cumin, garlic, dry oregano, and cayenne; blitz on high for 30 seconds until smooth. Add steaks to a bowl or storage bag, pour marinade over steaks, close the bag and rub marinade in steak to ensure there evenly coated. Set aside for 20 minutes at room temperature.
- In a small bowl combine remaining oil and red onions. Grill onions over direct heat for 3-4 minutes until tender. If onions are cooking to fast move to the cold side of the grill and continue cooking.
- Add steak to the grill and cook for 2 minutes on each side, then move to the cold side of the grill, cover and cook for 5 minutes for medium temperature. Increase cooking times for medium-well or well done. Let steaks rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
- While steaks rest make horseradish mayonnaise. In a medium bowl combine mayonnaise, horseradish, salt, black pepper and chives until smooth.
- Assemble steak sandwiches by spreading a heaping tablespoon of mayonnaise on both sides of buns, place grilled onions, lettuce, steak and top bun.
If you find sirloin flap meat, you can swap that for skirt steak.
A little horseradish goes a long way, and you can always add more, so don't go overboard.