This post may contain Affiliate Links. Please see my Disclaimer for more details.
A true strawberry shortcake recipe is made with a sweet biscuit, not cake. I have no idea who started using cake. Anyway, I did something a little different and mixed in my favorite cognac.
Strawberry Shortcake with Hennessy Whipped Cream Cooking Tips:
I use shortening because it produces a more tender shortcake than when it’s made with butter.
The secret to a fast and great whipped cream is placing the bowl and beaters in the freezer (my preference) or fridge 15 minutes before making it.
Can you make ahead?
Freezer: Shortcakes: After you shortcakes cools off, store in a freezer storage bag. Keep in the freezer for 5 months max. Thaw 24 hours before using.
Fridge: Shortcakes: After you shortcakes cools off, store in a freezer storage bag. Keep in the fridge for 7 days max.
Whipped Cream: You can store the extra in an airtight container in the fridge for 7 days.
Strawberry Preserve: Sauce can be made a day or two in advance. After sauce cools off, place in an airtight container in the fridge for 7 days max.
Reheating: Shortcakes: Pop in a 350-degree oven for 10-15 minutes.
latest Recipe Video:
You can substitute the strawberries for your favorite berry or fruit.
You can use whatever milk you have in the fridge for this recipe.
You can use rum in place of the Hennessy or you can omit the alcohol.
what to serve with Strawberry Shortcake with Hennessy Whipped Cream?
Click here to subscribe to MY NEWSLETTER for easy and free recipes right into your inbox!
To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can use the Pin button on the recipe card, the sharing buttons above or below this post, or any of the photos above.
Tag me @kennethtemple_ and use #LezEat on Instagram to share your remakes with me, and don't forget to leave a star rating and comment below.
Strawberry Shortcake with Hennessy Whipped Cream
- 4 cups unbleached flour
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick shortening
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 cup milk
- 16 ounces strawberries tops removed, sliced
- 2 ounces Hennessy
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons strawberry preserve or jam
Hennessy Whipped Cream
- 1 ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons Hennessy
- Combine dry ingredients, cut in fat. Make sure dry mix looks like coarse cornmeal. Add wet ingredients, using a ¼ cup dry measuring cup (spray with cooking spray or rub oil inside to prevent sticking) drop on baking sheet. Place in oven for 12-15 minute, shortcakes should be golden brown.
- To make the preserve, place strawberries, hennessy and brown sugar in a pot and let sit for 10 minutes, add other ingredients and turn heat to a medium heat bring to a simmer and let cook for 5 minutes.
- Place cream, sugar, vanilla and hennessy in bowl. Beat on medium-high speed for 3 minutes.
- To assemble, cut shortcakes in half, place strawberry preserve on bottom biscuit. Place a dollop of whipped cream, then place top half biscuit on top and more whipped cream on top.