This is my favorite dessert to start off the spring season because strawberries are fresh and abundant! You can substitute the strawberries for you favorite berry or even make it with peaches.
Now, a true shortcake is made with a sweet biscuit, not cake! The cake is to light to hold up to the sauces and whipped cream like the biscuit can. I thought I might do something a little different and mix my favorite cognac with dessert.
Strawberry Shortcake with Hennessy Whipped Cream
- 4 cups flour
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick shortening
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 cup milk
- Strawberry Preserve:
- 16 ounces strawberries tops removed, sliced
- 2 ounces of hennessy
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons strawberry preserve or jam
- Hennessey Whipped Cream:
- 1 ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons hennessy
- Combine dry ingredients, cut in fat. Make sure dry mix looks like coarse cornmeal. Add wet ingredients, using a ¼ cup dry measuring cup (spray with cooking spray or rub oil inside to prevent sticking) drop on baking sheet. Place in oven for 12-15 minute, shortcakes should be golden brown.
- To make the preserve, place strawberries, hennessy and brown sugar in a pot and let sit for 10 minutes, add other ingredients and turn heat to a medium heat bring to a simmer and let cook for 5 minutes.
- Place cream, sugar, vanilla and hennessy in bowl. Beat on medium-high speed for 3 minutes.
- To assemble, cut shortcakes in half, place strawberry preserve on bottom biscuit. Place a dollop of whipped cream, then place top half biscuit on top and more whipped cream on top. Serve.