This post may contain Affiliate Links. Please see my Disclaimer for more details.
This Strawberry Whisky Cake is packed with flavor and will become one of your favorite whisky cakes you’ll ever make.
Fun Fact: There are two ways to spell whisky or whiskey. Dropping the “e” is for those not made in the United States. Although for this recipe, I used Maker’s Mark Whisky, and they are made in the United States. The company decide to pay homage to their Scottish roots. This why they chose to drop the “e” in the spelling of whisky.
Whisky Cake Baking tips:
I use 2 tablespoons of butter and ¼ – ½ cup flour to grease my cake pans. Rub the inside with butter, add the flour turn until flour evenly coats pan and dump out the access. This recipe is for a bunt pan with a dark finish. If you’re bunt pan doesn’t have a dark finish increase temperature to 325 degrees bake for 1 hour 20 minutes the same time.
Can you make ahead?
Absolutely, you need one day to allow the cake to soak up the whisky.
Freezer: After you slice the cake, individually wrap each piece with plastic wrap. Place in a freezer storage bag. Keep in freezer for 6 months max.
Fridge: After you slice the cake, individually wrap each piece with plastic wrap. Place in a freezer storage bag. Keep in fridge for 7 days max.
You can omit the whisky that’s poured over the cake to reduce the whisky flavor.
You can use 16 oz. of frozen strawberries, if fresh are not available.
You can use your favorite milk in place of buttermilk. I would stay away from coconut milk because the flavor may not compliment the whisky.
what to serve with Strawberry Whisky Cake?
Enjoy with a scoop of your favorite ice cream.
Whether you’re looking for a show-stopping dessert to bring to your next potluck or just want something delicious and whisky-flavored that you can enjoy at home, this Strawberry Whisky Cake is sure to please. If you give it a try, be sure to let me know what you think by rating the recipe and leaving a comment. I hope you love it as much as I do!
Click here to subscribe to MY NEWSLETTER for easy and free recipes right into your inbox!
To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can use the Pin button on the recipe card, the sharing buttons above or below this post, or on any of the photos above.
Tag me @kennethtemple_ on Instagram to share your remakes with me, and don’t forget to leave a star rating and comment below.
Strawberry Whisky Cake
- Large bowl
- Medium bowl
- Dry Measuring Cup
- Dry measuring spoons
- Liquid measuring cup
- 16 oz. strawberries tops removed
- ¼ cup sugar
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- ½ teaspoon strawberry extract
- 2 ½ sticks unsalted butter softened
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon strawberry extract
- 1 oz. whiskey plus ¼ cup
- 3 cups self-rising flour
- 2 cups powder sugar sifted
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon strawberry extract
- Preheat oven, turn on the heat to medium in a large sauce pan add strawberries, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, kosher salt and rosemary, bring to a boil, lower heat and cook for 5 minutes, stir in strawberry extract. Transfer sauce to a food blender and blitz on high for 1 minute. Sauce should be smooth. Then place back in pot, bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes.
- In a bowl mix the butter and sugar together until smooth, add the eggs 1 at a time. Add the milk, vanilla extract and whiskey. Place the flour in a mesh strainer and sift in another bowl.
- Add the flour to cake batter 1 cup at a time. Pour half of the batter in a greased bunt pan, pour the cooled strawberry sauce in the center and with a butter knife, make a swirling design, pour in the remaining batter and place in the center rack and bake for 1 hour and 30 minutes; insert a toothpick into the center, it should come out clean when removed. Allow cake to cool for 10 minutes, then flip cake on to a plate to release the cake from the pan but do not remove the cake. Flip cake back over, poke cake with skewer and pour ¼ cup of whiskey evenly over cake. Wrap cake with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 4 hours.
- In a bowl add the powder sugar, butter, milk, and vanilla extract mix together until glaze forms. Pour over cooled cake.