Potato & Mushroom Tacos
Most of the time when there’s a taco party we forget about our vegan friends. My potato and mushroom tacos will make them extremely happy. Plus, there’s a variety of toppings that’ll have your mouth dancing with flavor.
Potato & Mushroom Tacos Cooking Tips:
You can use any potato in this recipe.
I cook majority of the time with avocado oil but since its pricey I use canola oil for frying.
You can use your favorite mushroom in this recipe.
Can you make ahead?
Fridge: Potatoes and Mushroom Tacos: After mixture cools off, place in an airtight container in the fridge for 7 days max.
Pickled Onions and Jalapenos: Pickled onions and jalapenos can be made a day or two in advance. After sauce cools off, place in an airtight container in the fridge for 7 days max.
Reheating: Potatoes and Mushroom Tacos: Turn on heat to medium, add all ingredients in a small or medium sauce pan, cook until mixture starts to boil. About 10 minutes or less.
latest Recipe Video:
Flour tortillas can be used in this recipe.
Try using different vinegar’s to create unique flavors for your pickled onions and jalapenos.
what to serve with Potato & Mushroom Tacos?
Potato & Mushroom Tacos
Potatoes and Mushrooms:
- 2 Yukon potatoes diced small
- 1 onion diced
- 12 ounces baby portobello’s sliced
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 3 cups plus 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- 12 corn tacos toasted
- pickled onions and jalapeno’s garnish
Pickled onions and Jalapenos:
- 1 cup water
- 1 large red onion sliced thin
- ¾ cup white vinegar
- ¾ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon black pepper ground
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon chili flakes
- In a pot add potatoes and cover with water bring to a boil and let boil for 2 minutes. Drain and sit on paper towels. Heat a large pan with 2-3 cups of oil and bring to a 350 degrees. In batches fry potatoes for 2-3 minutes until potatoes are brown and crisp season with salt.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons of oil add onions and portobello’s cook for 3 minutes. Add garlic, salt, black pepper, chili powder, cayenne, oregano and thyme, cook for 1 minute remove from heat.
- In a nonreactive saucepan bring water to a boil, add red onions and remove from heat, after 1 minute. Add vinegars, sugar, salt, bay leaf, oregano, black pepper, cumin, chili flakes. Bring to a boil for 3 minutes. Cover and let cool, in mixture. Place in glass jar or non-reactive bowl for one day before enjoying.
- To assemble in each taco place ¼ cup of potatoes, 2 tablespoons of mushrooms and garnish with pickled onions and jalapenos.
If you make this recipe, make sure to take a picture and share it on Instagram or Facebook and tag me @kennethtemple so we all can see that deliciousness!