As a kid one of my favorite things to eat was nachos. It was the perfect bite cheesy, meaty, spicy, creamy and messy. Great part about it is I still enjoy nachos the same way. I decided to recreate some nachos that my auntie use to make when I was a kid but I put a San Diego twist on them.
Tips for Success:
If ground meat begins to stick too much add ¼ cup of water to skillet.
To make this healthier use a lean ground beef, turkey or chicken. Also, just use 2 oz. of the cheese sauce for your meal.
latest Recipe Video:
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 lbs. 80/20 ground chuck
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon savory blackening or creole seasoning
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 16 oz. can black beans rinsed
- bag of store french fries bake to instructions
- ½ rotisserie chicken skin removed, shredded
- 15 oz. tomato sauce
- 3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- Roasted Corn Salsa:
- 2 stalks corn shucked, roasted, shaved
- ¼ red onion chopped
- 1 jalapeno chopped
- ½ bunch cilantro chopped
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups half and half
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 8 oz. block sharp cheddar shredded
- 8 oz. block pepper jack shredded
- 1 can diced green chilies
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Heat skillet over medium heat, once hot add oil and onions. Cook for 2 minutes, then add beef and cook for 5 minutes. Add garlic, salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, savory seasoning, coriander and black beans cook for 30 seconds and sit to the side.
- In a blender add tomato sauce and chipotle peppers and blitz for 1 minute. Add chicken to a pot and pour sauce in a pot and bring to a boil then cut off heat.
- In a bowl add corn, red onion, jalapeno, cilantro and salt, stir and sit to the side.
- In a pot over medium heat melt butter and stir in flour, in thirds add half and half, heavy cream, cheddar, pepper jack, green chilies, salt and bring to a boil. Add more heavy cream if sauce is to thick.
- To assemble place half of fries on a platter, then half of ground meat, half of chicken, half of corn salsa and half of cheese sauce; repeat and garnish with cilantro.
If you make this recipe, make sure to take a picture and share it on Instagram or Facebook and tag me @kennethtemple so we all can see that deliciousness!