Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on reddit
Share on pinterest
Share on email
Vegan File Okra Gumbo
A vegan gumbo is probably how the first gumbo was prepared. Then eventually, came the crabs and shellfish from the Gulf of Guinea. However, this one’s a New Orleans file okra gumbo. The flavors are so mind-blowing I may stick to this one for a long time…I’m lying, lol. File powder is ground sassafras leaves the same leaves that are used to make root beer. If you cannot find it in your local store, I highly suggest ordering some online because it will add that extra touch, to make a good gumbo a great gumbo.
vegan file okra gumbo Cooking Tips:
Fry the okra to avoid a slimy meal. You can remove a ¼ cup of oil to reduce the amount of oil in the gumbo but since the oil holds all the flavor don’t remove too much. Only use Italian vegan sausages, others will have seasoning mixes that do not complement the gumbo.
All creole seasoning is not created equal, I recommend, Paul Prudhomme, Seafood Magic. It’s not salty and has a great blend of herbs and spices. Gumbo is the best 24-48 hours later.
I used Lundberg wild rice blend, rinse the rice for 2 minutes, add 1 tablespoon of creole seasoning, 1 tablespoon of oil, 2 cups water and cook the rice according to package instruction.
Can you make ahead?
Freezer: After gumbo cools, transfer to an airtight container. Place in the freezer for up to 6 months max. Thaw 48 hours before using.
Fridge: After gumbo cools, transfer to an airtight container. Place in the fridge for up to 7 days max.
Reheating: Turn on heat to medium, add all ingredients in a small or medium sauce pan, cook until mixture starts to boil. About 10 minutes or less. *Depends on how much you’re reheating.
Subscribe to My Channel
You can use any rice you have on hand to serve with the gumbo.
If you use frozen okra, thaw and dry completely on several paper towels. You want to remove as much moisture as possible. This will keep the oil from popping when you fry the okra.
what to serve with Vegan File Okra Gumbo?
- Meyer Lemon Sweet Tea
- Wakanda Cake with Strawberry Mint Salad
- Jasmine Vegetable Rice
2020 Black History Month Potluck Links:
Vegan File Okra Gumbo
- 5-quart pot
- Slotted spoon
- Wooden spoon
- Dry measuring cups
- Dry measuring spoons
- 1 cup avocado oil plus more if needed
- 24 oz. small okra sliced ¼ inch, tops & bottoms removed
- 1 large onion chopped medium
- 1 red bell pepper chopped medium
- 3 stalks celery chopped medium
- 1 tablespoon creole seasoning
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 6 garlic cloves chopped small
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 tablespoon vegan worcestershire
- 8 cups low sodium vegetable stock
- 4 field roast Italian sausage sliced ½ inch thick
- 2 teaspoons file powder plus more for garnish
- 3 cups of wild rice blend cooked
- Turn on the heat to medium-heat in a heavy bottom pot, add avocado oil, heat for 5 minutes, once hot, fry okra in batches, fry okra for 1-2 minutes. Drain okra in a bowl lined with paper towels. Add the onion, bell pepper and celery and cook for 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the okra and stir a few times.
- In a medium bowl add the creole seasoning, kosher salt, black pepper, cayenne, white pepper, garlic powder and onion powder, mix together. Season with vegetables with half the seasoning mix, stir vegetable mixture a few times. Add garlic, bay leaf and thyme sprigs, stir a few times.
- Add the tomato paste, stir to make sure it coats the vegetables. Add the remaining seasoning mix, vegan worcestershire and vegetable stock, stir a few times and bring gumbo to a boil. Add Italian sausage and file powder, bring back to a boil then reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 35 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, taste and adjust seasoning, serve in individual bowls with a rice, add file at the dinner table.