Sweet Potato Pies with Mascarpone Whipped Cream
This is what us southerners eat in place of pumpkin pie. Pumpkin pie is good but there’s something divine about a slice of sweet potato pie. Plus, the addition of this mascarpone whipped cream just brings the dish to a new level.
Servings: 16 slices
hand mixer, large bowl, medium bowl, rubber spatula, dry measuring cups, dry measuring spoons
- 6 medium sweet potatoes 3 cups cooked, mashed
- 1 stick unsalted butter sliced in tablespoons
- 1 ½ cups light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons all spice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 eggs room temperature, beaten
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 2 cups evaporated milk
- 2 9- inch pie shells homemade or store bought
- Mascarpone Whipped Cream:
- 8 oz. mascarpone cold
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ½ orange zest
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Preheat oven to 450 F
Make desserts one or two days in advance.
To save time you can use 40 oz. of canned sweet potatoes, just drain the liquid and melt the butter before adding it to sweet potatoes.