Vegan File Okra Gumbo
Tips for success, fry the okra to avoid a slimy meal. You can remove a ¼ cup of oil to reduce the amount of oil in the gumbo but since the oil holds all the flavor don’t remove too much. Only use Italian vegan sausages, others will have seasoning mixes that do not complement the gumbo. All creole seasoning is not created equal, I recommend, Paul Prudhomme, Seafood Magic. It’s not salty and has a great blend of herbs and spices. Gumbo is the best 24-48 hours later. I use Lundberg wild rice blend, rinse the rice for 2 minutes, add 1 tablespoon of creole seasoning, 1 tablespoon of oil, 2 cups water and cook the rice according to package instruction.
5 quart pot
Dry measuring cups
Dry measuring spoons
- 1 cup grapeseed oil plus more if needed
- 24 oz. small okra sliced ¼ inch, tops & bottoms removed
- 1 large onion chopped medium
- 1 red bell pepper chopped medium
- 3 stalks celery chopped medium
- 1 tablespoon creole seasoning
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 6 garlic cloves chopped small
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 tablespoon vegan worcestershire
- 8 cups low sodium vegetable stock
- 4 field roast Italian sausage sliced ½ inch thick
- 2 teaspoons file powder plus more for garnish
- 3 cups of wild rice blend cooked
Turn on the heat to medium-heat in a heavy bottom pot, add grapeseed oil, heat for 5 minutes, once hot, fry okra in batches, fry okra for 1-2 minutes. Place in a bowl lined with paper towels. Add onion, bell pepper and celery and cook for 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add okra and stir a few times.
In a medium bowl add the creole seasoning, kosher salt, black pepper, cayenne, white pepper, garlic powder and onion powder, mix together. Season with vegetables with half the seasoning mix, stir vegetable mixture a few times. Add garlic, bay leaf and thyme sprigs, stir a few times.
Add tomato paste, stir to make sure it coats the vegetables. Add the remaining seasoning mix, vegan worcestershire and vegetable stock, stir a few times and bring gumbo to a boil. Add Italian sausage and file powder, bring back to a boil then reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 35 minutes.
Turn off the heat, taste and adjust seasoning, serve in individual bowls with a rice, add file at the dinner table.