Corn & Mushroom Bisque
This vegan corn and mushroom bisque is amazing! Now, I’ll be the first to tell you there’s no vegan substitute for crab meat but my friends at hungry planet has done a damn good job at getting close. Until their product is available in local retailers, we’ll just use mushrooms.
Corn & Mushroom Bisque Cooking tips:
To get a velvet smooth bisque that you would find from heavy cream, I chose to use cashew cream. Make sure that you put some color on your vegetables, it brings out the natural sweetness and will provide depth of flavor. Make sure to scrape the corn pulp with the back of your knife to get the sweet corn milk.
To make 1 cup of cashew cream. Soak 1 cup of cashews in 1 1/4 cup water for 2 hours-24 hours. Add to food blender and blitz on high until smooth.
Can you make ahead?
Freezer: After the bisque cools, transfer to an airtight container. Keep in freezer for 3 months max.
Fridge: After the bisque cools, transfer to an airtight container. Keep in fridge for 7 days max.
Reheating: Turn on heat to medium, in a small or medium sauce pan, add bisque, cook until mixture starts to boil. About 10 minutes or less.
10 oz. frozen corn is a good substitute if you cannot find fresh corn.
If you do not make your own cashew cream, use a plant based milk.
Try using a different mix of mushrooms to great a unique flavor.
what to serve with Corn & Mushroom Bisque?
Corn and Mushroom Bisque
- 4 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 medium onion chopped medium
- 8 oz. baby portobello mushrooms washed sliced
- 2 ears cut corn
- 2 stalks celery chopped medium
- 1 red bell pepper chopped medium
- 6 garlic cloves chopped fine
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- ½ teaspoon dry thyme
- 2 quarts low sodium vegetable stock
- 1 cup cashew cream
- ½ bunch green onions sliced thin
- ½ bunch Italian parsley chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 ear cut corn
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon organic cane sugar
- Turn the heat on medium in a 5-quart pot add avocado oil then add the onions, mushrooms and corn, cook for 3 minutes. Add celery and bell pepper cook for 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 15 seconds, add flour, stirring to make sure vegetables are evenly coated. Stir in kosher salt, black pepper, cayenne, white pepper and dry thyme. Turn the heat up to medium-high.
- Gradually add the vegetable stock and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- While bisque cooks, Turn the heat on medium in a small skillet add avocado oil then add the corn, kosher salt, black pepper and cane sugar. Cook for 2 minutes or until corn gets slightly brown.
- Add cashew cream, half green onions and half parsley cook for 3 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning. Add 2 cups of bisque to the food blender and blitz on high for 30 seconds, pour puree bisque back into pot, and bring to a boil. Pour soup into individual bowls, garnish with green onion, parsley and sautéed corn and serve hot.
Made this recipe? Take a picture and tag me on Instagram (@kennethtemple_) or Facebook (@ChefKennethTemple)!