This post may contain Affiliate Links. Please see my Disclaimer for more details.
This key lime cheesecake is an easy recipe that takes time but when you bite into it you will appreciate it. This cheesecake is creamy, smooth, and slightly tart. This is key lime pies big cousin and the flavors show why.
Table of Contents
Key Lime Cheesecake Baking Tips:
If you’re short on time and need to get your cream cheese room temperature quickly. Fill up a large cup with hot tap water, place the unopened cream cheese packet in the cup for 1 minute. Make sure water fully covers cream cheese.
If you’re short on time and need to get your eggs to room temperature quickly. Place eggs in a bowl of hot tap water for 1 minute.
Do not cover the cheesecake with foil. The foil will have an acidic reaction from the sour cream and lime zest. This causes the foil to leach into your food.
Many recipes use water baths to help keep the cheesecake from cracking. We avoid a cracked cheesecake and water bath by baking it low and slow.
Can you make ahead?
Freezer: Key Lime Cheesecake: Slice cheesecake and slices in an air tight container. Place in freezer for 1 month max.
Fridge: Key Lime Cheesecake: Cheesecake will remain fresh for 7 days.
Common Substitutions (one to one ratios):
Fat Free Cream Cheese = Cream Cheese
1 small lime = 3-4 key limes
Salted Butter = Unsalted Butter (omit salt from recipe)
what to serve with Key Lime Cheesecake?
I hope you enjoy this key lime cheesecake as much as my family and I do. It’s creamy, smooth, and slightly tart with the perfect balance of sweet and tangy flavors. And it’s so easy to make – it just takes a little time. Make it for your next gathering or party and watch it disappear! If you give it a try, be sure to leave me a 5-star rating in the comments below.
Click here to subscribe to MY NEWSLETTER for easy and free recipes right into your inbox!
To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can use the Pin button on the recipe card, the sharing buttons above or below this post, or any of the photos above.
Tag me @kennethtemple_ and use #LezEat on Instagram to share your remakes with me, and don't forget to leave a star rating and comment below.
Key Lime Cheesecake
Graham Cracker Crust:
- 9 graham crackers
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 5 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
Key Lime Cheesecake:
- 2 ½ lbs. room temperature cream cheese
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 oz. sour cream
- ½ cup key lime juice about 14 key limes
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 large eggs room temperature
Key Lime Sour Cream:
- 4 oz. sour cream
- zest 2 key limes plus more for garnish
- Preheat oven to 325°F. To make crust: in a food processor add graham crackers and sugar blitz on high until crumbles form. Then cut on low and slowly drizzle in 4 tablespoons of butter. The crust should hold together when squeezed in hand. Use remaining butter to butter the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan. Press mixture evenly and firmly into the bottom and sides of the pan. Place on a baking sheet and pop in the oven for 13 minutes. Let crust cool for 10 minutes before pouring in filling.
- Cut oven up to 425°F.
- To make key lime cheesecake: In a stand mixer bowl add the cream cheese and sour cream, using a paddle attachment, mix on low speed for 1 minute. Add the sugar and kosher salt, mix on low for 1 minute, scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the key lime juice and vanilla extract, mix on low for 1 minute, scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add 2 eggs at a time, mix on low for 1 minute. The mixture will be smooth and loose when finished.
- Pour filling in pan and pop in the oven for 10 minutes. Cut the heat down to 200°F and bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes or until cheesecake registers to 150°F with an instant-read thermometer. Remove from oven and let cheesecake cool for 5 minutes, run a knife around the inside of the cheesecake to release it. Cool at room temperature for 3 hours.
- To make the key lime sour cream: While cheesecake cools, in a bowl mix, sour cream, and key lime zest. Spread evenly over top of cooled cheesecake. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator overnight.
- The next day before you release it let it sit out at room temperature for 15 minutes. Fill a tall vessel with hot water, dip the knife in water and cut slices of cheesecake, and enjoy.
This was my first time ever making a cheesecake and it came out perfectly! Thank you for putting this in simple terms enough for me to make this... Bon appétit!