Just like the rest of the world I went to see Black Panther this past week and was inspired. This dark chocolate French toast with chocolate ganache is inspired by the latest Marvel movie. I also made an adult beverage for the inner kid in us all.
Chocolate French Toast with Chocolate Ganache
- ¾ cup half and half
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate coco powder
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- pinch of salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 slices brioche or Texas toast
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup grade A Maple Syrup 1/4 cup per serving
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon rum
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 6 ounces 1 cup semisweet chocolate
- In a bowl mix whisk together milk, coco powder, eggs, sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, cayenne, salt and vanilla; soak bread in mixture for about 20-30 seconds. In a large skillet over medium high heat melt 4 tablespoons of butter, cook bread for 2-3 minutes each side or until golden brown on each side. Serve hot with 2 tablespoons butter and maple syrup.
- In a small pot heat cream, rum, butter and sugar to a boil. Put chocolate in a stainless steel bowl pour in cream over and cover with a towel for 3-5 minutes. Stir until smooth sit to the side and allow to cool.