These oxtail quesadillas are an excellent way to use leftover oxtails. Serve them for some amazing appetizers, main dish or late night meal. There super easy to make and take only a few minutes.
Oxtail Cooking Tips:
You can use my Jerk Oxtail recipe or my Creole Oxtails recipe. You can use whole wheat tortillas for a healthier option. Have fun by adding additional toppings to your quesadilla. If you are not a fan of spicy foods you can omit the hot sauce and just use the mayonnaise. You can eat your quesadillas with sour cream, salsa or more cheese. Have fun with your dipping sauce.
It’s best that you have some oxtails already cooked. Day old oxtails will be easier to handle, since they will have cooled all the way off. If you plan on making these the next day. I recommend separating the meat from the bone while it’s hot. The meat will shred easier hot than they will cold.
Can you make ahead?
Freezer: You can make the oxtails in advance and place in an airtight container. Keep in the freezer for 3 months max. Thaw 48 hours before using.
Fridge: After quesadillas cool, place in a freezer storage bag. Keep in fridge for 7 days max.
Reheating: Pop in a 350-degree oven for 10 minutes.
Cooked chuck roast, short ribs or steak, work great in place of oxtails.
what to serve with Oxtail Quesasillas?
- 4 large flour tortilla
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese room temperature
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend room temperature
- 8 oz. Oaxaca cheese cut into ½ inch pieces
- 6 cooked oxtails shredded
- 4 teaspoon oil
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- Turn on the heat to medium in a large skillet, once hot add 1 teaspoon of oil and with a paper towel evenly spread around pan. Lay a tortilla flat in the center add ½ cup cheddar, ½ cup Mexican blend, 3 pieces of Oaxaca and ¼ cup oxtails. Place quesadilla in skillet and let cook for 2 ½ minutes. Fold in half and cook for 1 minute on each side.
- To make spicy mayo, in a bowl mix mayonnaise and hot sauce together, serve on the side.
Made this recipe? Take a picture and tag me on Instagram (@kennethtemple_) or Facebook (@ChefKennethTemple)!