This post may contain Affiliate Links. Please see my Disclaimer for more details.
Fried hand pies in New Orleans are famous. This fried apple hand pie recipe will be famous amongst your family and friends. Warm apples, warm spices, flaky crust and sweetened condensed milk are a recipe for success.
Table of Contents
Fried Apple Pies Cooking Tips:
Make sure you pre-cook your apples to remove all the moisture. Access moisture will make the crust damp. This will ruin the pies.
You can also bake the pies in a 400°F for 20 minutes.
Can you make ahead?
Freezer: Fried Apple Pies: You can make the apple pies in advance and place in an airtight container, after it cools off. Keep in the freezer for 3 months max. Thaw 24 hours before using.
Fridge: Fried Apple Pies: Pies can be made one day in advanced.
Apple Filling: Filling can be made a day in advance.
Reheating: Fried Apple Pies: Bake in a 350°F oven for 5 minutes.
Homemade Self-Rising Flour: Makes 1 cup
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoons salt
Common One to One Substitutions:
Any Apple (Granny, Red, Fiji etc.) = Honeycrisp
Granulated Sugar = Raw Cane Sugar
Cinnamon = Apple Spice Mix
Milk of Choice = Evaporated Milk
Non-Hydrogenated Coconut Oil = Shortening
Want More Apple Dessert recipes?
- Grilled Coriander Steak with Salsa Verde
- Chipotle Churros with Sea Salt Cajeta
- Lemongrass Hoisin Sauce Chicken Wings
Fried hand pies have been a staple in New Orleans for years and I’m excited to share this fried apple hand pie recipe with you. This recipe is super easy to make and your family and friends will love it. Be sure to make a double batch because these pies will go fast! Make the recipe yourself and leave me a 5-star review!
Click here to subscribe to MY NEWSLETTER for easy and free recipes right into your inbox!
To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can use the Pin button on the recipe card, the sharing buttons above or below this post, or any of the photos above.
Tag me @kennethtemple_ and use #LezEat on Instagram to share your remakes with me, and don't forget to leave a star rating and comment below.
Fried Apple Pies
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium Honeycrisp apples skinned, cored, chopped small
- ½ cup raw cane sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- ¼ cup water
- 1 ½ cups self-rising flour
- ¼ cup shorting
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup evaporated milk
- 4 cups canola oil
- 4 oz. sweetened condensed milk garnish
- Turn on the heat to medium in a large skillet, melt butter and add apples, cook for 2 minutes. In a small mix together sugar, cornstarch, salt and apple spice. Add sugar blend and water to apples, bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes.
- In a bowl mix flour and shortening together until crumble texture formed. Add milk and mix until dough is formed.
- Roll out dough to ⅛ inch on a flour surface, if dough begins to crumble, knead dough a few more times, then roll out. Use a large biscuit cutter cut out 10 circles. Using your thumbs shape into a small bowl shape.
- Once filling mixture is cooled add 2 tablespoons of filling to each pie circle. Pull and fold dough over, seal edges and crimp with a fork sit on a foiled liner baking sheet. Repeat with remaining pie circles.
- Heat oil to 350°F and fry four pies at time for 45 seconds per side for even browning.
- Keep warm in a 200°F oven while you fry off the remaining pies. Drizzle condensed milk over the top of pies. Serve warm and enjoy.
Leave a Reply