Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on reddit
Share on pinterest
Share on email
Spicy Tomato Sauce
I decided to make a spicy West African tomato sauce which is called kanni. I decided to use scotch bonnets for their sweet heat that I know would pair well with the acidic tomatoes. I also added lime juice to help tame the heat level.
Spicy Tomato Sauce Cooking tips:
If you’re a fan of heat but not scotch bonnet levels, you can use a jalapeno. The lime juice helps tame the spicy level of the dish.
Can you make ahead?
Freezer: After sauce cools, place in an airtight container in the freezer for freezer for 6 months max.
Fridge: Sauce can be made a day or two in advance.After sauce cools, place in an airtight container in the fridge for 7 days max.
Reheating: Turn on heat to medium, add all ingredients in a small or medium sauce pan, cook until mixture starts to boil. About 10 minutes or less. *Depends on how much you’re reheating.
Subscribe to My Channel
You can use tomato sauce or diced tomatoes instead of using whole peeled tomatoes. If you cannot find scotch bonnet, you can use a scotch bonnet sauce. You can completely omit adding a spicy pepper if you’re not a fan of spicy foods.
what to serve with Spicy Tomato Sauce?
Spicy Tomato Sauce
- 4 quart pot
- Chef knife
- Cutting board
- Dry measuring spoons
- 4 tablespoons avocado oil
- 28 oz. whole peeled tomatoes
- 4 garlic cloves chopped fine
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper chopped fine
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ bunch cilantro chopped small
- Turn on the heat to medium high in a 4-quart sauce pot add avocado oil, squeeze whole tomatoes with hands and add to the pot, cook for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and scotch bonnet, stir a few times, add the lime juice, kosher salt, black pepper, garlic powder and water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to low and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add to a food blender and pulse 3-5 times, until sauce is smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning and stir in cilantro.