Spicy Tomato Sauce
I decided to make a spicy West African tomato sauce which is called kanni. I decided to use scotch bonnets for their sweet heat that I know would pair well with the acidic tomatoes. I also added lime juice to help tame the heat level.
Spicy Tomato Sauce Cooking tips:
If you’re a fan of heat but not scotch bonnet levels, you can use a jalapeno. The lime juice helps tame the spicy level of the dish.
Can you make ahead?
Freezer: After sauce cools, place in an airtight container in the freezer for freezer for 6 months max.
Fridge: Sauce can be made a day or two in advance.After sauce cools, place in an airtight container in the fridge for 7 days max.
Reheating: Turn on heat to medium, add all ingredients in a small or medium sauce pan, cook until mixture starts to boil. About 10 minutes or less. *Depends on how much you’re reheating.
You can use tomato sauce or diced tomatoes instead of using whole peeled tomatoes. If you cannot find scotch bonnet, you can use a scotch bonnet sauce. You can completely omit adding a spicy pepper if you’re not a fan of spicy foods.
what to serve with Spicy Tomato Sauce?
Spicy Tomato Sauce
- 4 quart pot
- Chef knife
- Cutting board
- Dry measuring spoons
- 4 tablespoons avocado oil
- 28 oz. whole peeled tomatoes
- 4 garlic cloves chopped fine
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper chopped fine
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ bunch cilantro chopped small
- Turn on the heat to medium high in a 4-quart sauce pot add avocado oil, squeeze whole tomatoes with hands and add to the pot, cook for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and scotch bonnet, stir a few times, add the lime juice, kosher salt, black pepper, garlic powder and water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to low and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add to a food blender and pulse 3-5 times, until sauce is smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning and stir in cilantro.
Made this recipe? Take a picture and tag me on Instagram (@kennethtemple_) or Facebook (@ChefKennethTemple)!