This post may contain Affiliate Links. Please see my Disclaimer for more details.
This recipe is for a curried chicken has some techniques that I learned from my Indian friends in South Africa.
I figure my audience wasn’t ready to have a curried goat recipe just yet lol.
Curried Chicken Cooking Tips:
Frying the curry powder in the oil brings out the essential oils which helps perfume this dish.
Can you make ahead?
Fridge: You can be make it a day or two in advance. Which will probably be better because the flavors would have developed more. After the curry cools off, place in an airtight container in the fridge for 7 days max.
Reheating: Turn on heat to medium, add all ingredients in a small or medium sauce pan, cook until mixture starts to boil. About 10 minutes or less.
latest Recipe Video:
You can also use chicken on the bone it will take about 35-40 minutes to get tender.
You can use boneless chicken breast for this recipe.
If you're in a rush, make the marinade and proceed with the recipe. The flavors still will be amazing.
If you cannot find scotch bonnet peppers or scotch bonnet sauce. Use a jalapeno, serrano or habanero.
what to serve with Curried Chicken?
Click here to subscribe to MY NEWSLETTER for easy and free recipes right into your inbox!
To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can use the Pin button on the recipe card, the sharing buttons above or below this post, or any of the photos above.
Tag me @kennethtemple_ and use #LezEat on Instagram to share your remakes with me, and don't forget to leave a star rating and comment below.
- 3 green onions sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 6 garlic cloves chopped
- zest of 1 lime
- juice of 2 limes
- 1 teaspoon savory seasoning or salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon all spice ground
- 4 boneless thighs chopped
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 4 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 onion sliced
- ½ green bell pepper chopped
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper sliced
- 1 teaspoon ginger grated
- 1 tomato chopped
- ½ cup hot water
- 2 cups white rice cooked
- In a bowl combine green onions, thyme, garlic, lime zest, lime juice, salt, pepper and chicken cover and pop in the fridge overnight or minimum 6 hours.
- In a pot heat oil over medium heat add curry and cook for 1 minute. Add onion, bell pepper, scotch bonnet, ginger and tomato cook for 3 minutes. Stir in chicken and make sure to coat fully with curry mixture, cook for 3 minutes. Add ¼ cup of water and stir occasionally. Cover and bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes. Add remaining water if mixture starts to evaporate, curry is done when it looks like the oil is separating. Serve hot over rice
Marinda Lee-Houston says
This recipe was authentic in its flavors. It was so delicious. It was a process to make but well worth the steps!!! Will make again.
Glad you enjoyed it. Have you tried my Curry Chicken Ramen?