Fried Snapper with Capers and Green Olive Vinaigrette– This recipe is a play on Yucatan flavors. Although the Yucatan in known for their pork dishes, this one shows the flavors of being a country surround by water. The fish is marinade in a cilantro pesto, then fried and topped with a briny spicy vinaigrette. This fish is so amazing you do not need any sides but you can add them if you must.
Fried Snapper with Capers and Green Olive Vinaigrette
- ½ bunch cilantro plus more for garnish
- 1 cup small capers drained
- juice of 2 limes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried Mexican oregano
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon all spice
- ¼ teaspoon cloves
- 6 snapper filets or fish of your choice
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup champagne vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves smashed
- ½ serrano top removed
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 12 green olives with pimiento sliced
- Fish Fry:
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Marinate: Add cilantro, capers, lime juice, olive oil, oregano, salt, black pepper, cumin, cinnamon, all spice, cloves in a food processor and blitz for 1 minute. Place fish in a shallow container and pour marinade over and cover fish on both sides. Sit to the side for 15 minutes.
- Vinaigrette: Add all ingredients in food processor except olives and blitz for 1 minute. Transfer to a bowl and stir in olives.
- Heat a deep skillet with oil over medium-high heat. In a bowl add flour, salt and pepper and stir to combine. Take fish from container and dredge in flour and fry for 3-5 minutes until golden brown, pop in oven until you finish frying fish.
- To serve place fish on plate and drizzle 1 tablespoon of vinaigrette over the fish, garnish with cilantro. Serve with a side salad or white rice.