This post may contain Affiliate Links. Please see my Disclaimer for more details.
This fried snapper with capers and green olive vinaigrette recipe is a play on Yucatan flavors. Although the Yucatan in known for their pork dishes, this one shows the flavors of being a country surround by water.
The fish is marinade in a cilantro pesto, then fried and topped with a briny spicy vinaigrette. This fish is so amazing you do not need any sides but you can add them if you must.
Heat oil for 3 minutes. To test if oil is hot, sprinkle some flour in, if it sizzles it ready.
Can you make ahead?
Fridge: Cilantro Pesto and Vinaigrette: Both can be made a day or two in advance. Place in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 days max.
Store cooled fish in the fridge in an airtight container for 7 days max.
Reheating: Pop fish in a 350-degree oven for 10-15 minutes.
latest Recipe Video:
Use the freshest fish available at the market.
You can use regular dried oregano but Mexican oregano is superior.
what to serve with Fried Snapper with Capers and Green Olive Vinaigrette?
Click here to subscribe to MY NEWSLETTER for easy and free recipes right into your inbox!
To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can use the Pin button on the recipe card, the sharing buttons above or below this post, or on any of the photos above.
Tag me @kennethtemple_ on Instagram to share your remakes with me, and don’t forget to leave a star rating and comment below.
Fried Snapper with Capers and Green Olive Vinaigrette
- ½ bunch cilantro plus more for garnish
- 1 cup small capers drained
- juice of 2 limes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried Mexican oregano
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon all spice
- ¼ teaspoon cloves
- 6 snapper filets or fish of your choice
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup champagne vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves smashed
- ½ serrano top removed
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 12 green olives with pimiento sliced
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Marinate: Add cilantro, capers, lime juice, olive oil, oregano, salt, black pepper, cumin, cinnamon, all spice, cloves in a food processor and blitz for 1 minute. Place fish in a shallow container and pour marinade over and cover fish on both sides. Sit to the side for 15 minutes.
- Vinaigrette: Add all ingredients in food processor except olives and blitz for 1 minute. Transfer to a bowl and stir in olives.
- Heat a deep skillet with oil over medium-high heat, sprinkle some flour in oil, if it sizzles it ready. In a bowl add flour, salt and pepper and stir to combine. Take fish from container and dredge in flour and fry for 3-5 minutes until golden brown, pop in oven until you finish frying fish.
- To serve place fish on plate and drizzle 1 tablespoon of vinaigrette over the fish, garnish with cilantro. Serve with a side salad or white rice.