Ancho Coffee Braised Short Rib Tacos– This recipe is what I think of the ultimate beef tacos. Slow braised short ribs with a sauce made with anchos, tomatoes, coffee and sofrito what can go wrong. It takes some time but these tacos will be worth the wait with every bite. You may even not share these with your family because they’re so good.
Special Ingredient List:
[ihc-hide-content ihc_mb_type=”show” ihc_mb_who=”3″ ihc_mb_template=”3″ ]
Ancho Coffee Braised Short Rib Tacos
- Short Ribs:
- 4 ancho chilies seeded, stems removed
- 2 to matoes
- 1 ½ cups unsalted beef stock warmed
- 6 short ribs
- 1 tablespoon savory blackening seasoning
- 1 tablespoon salt
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 4 garlic cloves mashed
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon Mexican oregano
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 ½ cup coffee black and bold medium roast
- 1 disc of Taza chipotle chili chocolate or 1.5 oz. another chipotle chocolate
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- parchment paper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter cold
- 12 yellow corn tortillas warm
- 12 sprigs cilantro garnish
- 1 cup Mexican sour cream garnish
- Pickled red onions: Can be made a day in advance
- 1 cup water
- 1 large red onion sliced thin
- ¾ cup white vinegar
- ¾ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- In a dry skillet over medium-high heat toast ancho chilies for 15 seconds on each side until slightly charred evenly. Remove and sit in beef stock and bring to a boil, cook for 10 minutes. Next, evenly char tomatoes on all sides and sit to the side. After place ancho beef stock, tomatoes and 1 teaspoon of salt in a blender and blitz for 1-2 minutes.
- Season short ribs evenly with savory and salt. Heat a pot with oil over medium heat, once hot, add short ribs and cook for 1 minute making sure brown on all sides. Remove ribs and sit to the side.
- Drain oil but leave 2 tablespoons of oil in pot. Add onions, celery and bell peppers cook for 3 minutes. Add garlic and tomato paste, cook for 1 minute. Add bay leaves, oregano, cumin, cinnamon and coffee. Scrape the bottom of pot to pick up brown bits then add ancho sauce, worcestershire and short ribs. Bring to a boil, place parchment paper on top, then cover with lid. Place in a 300 degree oven for 3- 4 ½ hours. Test for doneness by piercing ribs with fork making sure they’re tender.
- In a medium pot bring water to a boil, add red onions and remove from heat, after 1 minute. Add vinegars, sugar and salt. Bring to a boil for 3 minutes. Sit to the side and let cool, in mixture. Store in a glass jar.
- When ribs are cooked remove from pot, remove bones, shred with two forks and cover with foil to keep hot. Then skim fat from sauce, reduce sauce by half and swirl in butter. Taste and adjust seasoning. Toss short ribs in sauce then assemble tacos.
- Assemble, taco, short ribs, pickled onions, drizzle sour cream and cilantro. Serve with sauce on the side.