Instant-Pot New Orleans red beans and Rice
New Orleans red beans and rice are a staple of the community. Now you can make one of New Orlean’s classic recipes with ease and in a shorter time, thanks to the instant pot or any pressure cooker. This instant-pot red beans and rice recipe is easy, delicious, and feeds an army.
Instant-Pot New orleans Red beans cooking Tips:
Why do you season Beans at the end?
You’ll notice that I only season my beans at the end. Seasoning at the end helps the spices and herbs coat the beans better. Sometimes adding salt will make the beans toughen during cooking.
In the recipe video, I mentioned onion powder in the seasoning mix, there’s none in it, but it won’t hurt adding it.
How do I make red beans and rice thicker?
By smashing the beans against the wall of the pot to make the beans creamy and thicker. This creamy texture is a crucial technique to making New Orleans red beans. You only need to smash a few of them to achieve this incredible texture.
Is red beans and rice Cajun or Creole?
The Creoles are the reason why the world knows about red beans and rice. You will find red beans and rice in both Cajun and Creole households.
Why is Monday red beans and rice day?
Monday’s became the dedicated day for red beans and rice because in the 1800’s Monday’s were laundry day. Washing clothes in the past was a labor of love, sometimes taking the whole day. Red beans and rice don’t require much attention to prepare. They can cook low and slow the entire day.
Can I make Red Beans and Rice Vegan?
You can make red beans and rice vegan by omitting the beef bacon and turkey necks. Use a vegan sausage as a substitute for the smoked sausage and use a vegan Worcestershire sauce. Worcestershire contains anchovies.
Can you make ahead?
Absolutely! Red beans is one of those dishes that taste better the next day.
Freezer: Instant-Pot Red Beans and Rice: It’s a New Orleans tradition to make a big batch and freeze half of it. After red beans cool, transfer to an airtight container. Place in freezer for 6 months.
Fridge: Instant-Pot Red Beans and Rice: After red beans cool, transfer to an airtight container. Place in fridge for 7 days. (If they last that long.)
Reheating: Instant-Pot Red Beans and Rice: Turn on heat to medium, in a small or medium sauce pan, add red beans, cook until mixture starts to boil. About 10 minutes or less.
How do you make red beans and rice from scratch?
- Turn on the heat to medium in a large skillet, add the oil and bacon, cook for 5 minutes, continually stirring until the bacon gets brown and crispy. Remove the bacon, add the onions, bell peppers, and celery, cook for 2 minutes, stirring a few times.
- Add the garlic, bay leaf, and thyme. Add the red beans, turkey necks, sausage, vegetable mixture, Worcestershire, and water to the instant pot. Cover and lock lid, press pressure cook, and set timer for 1 hour 30 minutes. After the timer goes off, remove the lid and stir in the kosher salt, black pepper, garlic powder, cumin, and cayenne. Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve beans with a scoop of cooked rice.
Smoked Turkey Legs, Wings or Ham = Smoked Turkey Necks
Turkey Bacon, Bacon = Beef Bacon
Do not use canned red beans for this recipe.
what do you Eat with red beans and rice?
This post has Amazon affiliate links. I get commissions for purchases made through links in this post.
Insta-Pot Red Beans & Rice
- Chef knife
- Cutting board
- Large skillet
- Dry measuring spoons
- Liquid measuring cup
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 5 strips bacon chopped medium
- 1 large onion chopped medium
- 1 bell pepper chopped medium
- 3 stalks celery chopped medium
- 8 garlic cloves chopped fine
- 2 lbs. Camelia red beans or dark kidney red beans rinsed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- 6 smoked turkey necks
- 2 lbs. smoked beef sausage sliced medium
- 4-5 1/2 cups water
- ¼ cup worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoon cayenne
- To taste hot sauce
- 3 cups rice cooked
- Turn on the heat to medium in a large skillet add the oil and bacon, cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly until the bacon gets brown and crispy. Remove the bacon, add the onions, bell peppers, and celery, cook for 2 minutes, stirring a few times. Add the garlic, bay leaf and thyme.
- Add the red beans, turkey necks, sausage, vegetable mixture, worcestershire, bacon and water to the instant pot. Cover and lock lid, press pressure cook and set timer for 1 hour 30 minutes. After the timer goes off remove lid and stir in the kosher salt, black pepper, garlic powder, cumin and cayenne. Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve beans with a scoop of cooked rice.
If you make this recipe, make sure to take a picture and share it on Instagram or Facebook and tag me @kennethtemple so we all can see that deliciousness!