Insta-Pot New orleans red beans
New Orleans red beans and rice are a staple of the community. Now you can make one of New Orleans classic recipes with ease and in a shorter time, thanks to instant pot or any pressure cooker. This recipe is easy, delicious and feeds an army.
New orleans Red beans cooking Tips:
You’ll notice that I only season my beans at the end. Seasoning at the end helps the spices and herb coat the beans better. Something adding salt will make the beans toughen during cooking.
Smash the beans against the wall of the pot to make the beans creamy. This creamy texture is a key technique of New Orleans red beans. You only need to smash a few of them to achieve this great texture.
In the recipe video, I mentioned onion powder in the seasoning mix, there’s none in it but it won’t hurt adding it.
Can you make ahead?
Absolutely! Red beans is one of those dishes that taste better the next day.
Freezer: It’s a New Orleans tradition to make a big batch and freeze half of it. After red beans cool, transfer to an airtight container. Place in freezer for 6 months max.
Fridge: After red beans cool, transfer to an airtight container. Place in fridge for 7 days max. (If they last that long.)
Reheating: Turn on heat to medium, in a small or medium sauce pan, add red beans, cook until mixture starts to boil. About 10 minutes or less.
If you cannot find smoked turkey necks, smoked turkey legs or wings work.
If you cannot find beef bacon, turkey bacon or bacon works.
Do not use canned red beans for this recipe.
You can make this vegan by omitting the beef bacon and turkey necks. Use a vegan sausage as a substitute for the sausage and use a vegan worcestershire sauce. Worcestershire contains anchovies.
what to serve with red beans and rice?
This post has Amazon affiliate links. I get commissions for purchases made through links in this post.
Insta-Pot Red Beans & Rice
- 8-quart Insta-pot
- Chef knife
- Cutting board
- Large skillet
- Dry measuring spoons
- Liquid measuring cup
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 5 strips bacon chopped medium
- 1 large onion chopped medium
- 1 bell pepper chopped medium
- 3 stalks celery chopped medium
- 8 garlic cloves chopped fine
- 2 lbs. Camelia red beans or dark kidney red beans rinsed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- 6 smoked turkey necks
- 2 lbs. smoked beef sausage sliced medium
- 4 cups water
- ¼ cup worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoon cayenne
- To taste hot sauce
- 3 cups rice cooked
- Turn on the heat to medium in a large skillet add the oil and bacon, cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly until the bacon gets brown and crispy. Remove the bacon, add the onions, bell peppers, and celery, cook for 2 minutes, stirring a few times. Add the garlic, bay leaf and thyme. Add the red beans, turkey necks, sausage, vegetable mixture, worcestershire and water to the instant pot. Cover and lock lid, press pressure cook and set timer for 1 hour 30 minutes. After the timer goes off remove lid and stir in the kosher salt, black pepper, garlic powder, cumin and cayenne. Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve beans with a scoop of cooked rice.
If you make this recipe, make sure to take a picture and share it on Instagram or Facebook and tag me @kennethtemple so we all can see that deliciousness!