If you’re not able to make it to Jamaica this recipe will bring Jamaica to your home. The jerk paste works well on fish, pork, chicken and vegetables.
Jerk Wings with Rice & Peas
Jerk Wings with Rice & Peas – It took years to master this recipe but I finally have the right measurements to make me feel like I’m back in Jamaica. This is a mild jerk but you can add 2 more scotch bonnets if you love spicy. Ya Man!
- Jerk Paste:
- 3 tablespoons all spice whole
- 2 scotch bonnet
- 8 green onions
- 1 onion chopped
- 8 garlic cloves
- 1/3 cup fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Zest of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup plus 1 cup
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 lbs. wings pierced
- Rice & Peas:
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cups white rice rinsed
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 15 oz. canned red beans drained
- ½ teaspoon dry thyme or 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Add all jerk ingredients in blender except 1 cup ketchup and chicken stock, blitz until smooth. Reserve 1 cup of paste to the side and pour remaining over chicken, make sure evenly covered. Place in fridge overnight. The next day either grill on low to medium heat for 2 hours or bake in a 275 degree oven for 2 hours rotating chicken after the first hour.
- In a sauce pot over medium heat add butter once hot sauté onions for 2 minutes add rice and cook for 1 minute, stir in coconut milk, stock, red beans, thyme, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover and turn heat to low simmer for 15-20 minutes. Fluff rice before serving.
- Make jerk sauce in blender add ketchup, 1 cup of jerk paste and chicken stock blitz for 15 seconds and toss wings in it. Serve hot with rice.
If you cannot find scotch bonnets, you can use 2 tablespoons of scotch bonnet pepper sauce for 1 scotch bonnet pepper.