This post may contain Affiliate Links. Please see my Disclaimer for more details.
This bourbon pecan butter cake is a moist, buttery, and smoky cake. It is a dessert to make on the grill and end the day on a high note. This recipe will be the new hit of your neighborhood when they found out you baked a cake on the grill. The bourbon and toasted pecans complement the smoky flavor from the grill.
Bourbon pecan butter cake grilling Tips:
To toast pecans, add to a non-stick skillet over medium heat, cook for 2 minutes, constantly stirring. Soak cedar plank 2 hours before using. I place a can of vegetables on top to keep the plank submerged. Click this link to get more information on the different methods for grilling. Caution, this recipe works best for a propane grill but you can make it in a charcoal grill, just keep an eye on your temperature.
Can you make ahead?
Freezer: After you slice the cake, individually wrap each piece with plastic wrap. Place in a freezer storage bag. Keep in freezer for 6 months max.
Fridge: After you slice the cake, individually wrap each piece with plastic wrap. Place in a freezer storage bag. Keep in fridge for 7 days max.
Reheating: Pop in a 350-degree oven for 5 minutes.
You can make this cake in your oven instead of your grill. Bake in a 375 degree oven for the same time.
You can omit the bourbon for rum. Not a fan of pecans, you can use walnuts or omit all together.
what to serve with Bourbon Pecan Butter Cake?
- Best Burger in America
- Lemon Pepper Glazed Salmon
- Grilled Chicken Sandwich with Alabama White BBQ Sauce
The next time you want to end the day on a high note, fire up your grill and bake this bourbon pecan butter cake. Your neighbors will be so impressed with your culinary skills that they might just ask for the recipe. And don't forget to leave me a 5-star rating once you've tried the recipe!
Click here to subscribe to MY NEWSLETTER for easy and free recipes right into your inbox!
To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can use the Pin button on the recipe card, the sharing buttons above or below this post, or any of the photos above.
Tag me @kennethtemple_ and use #LezEat on Instagram to share your remakes with me, and don't forget to leave a star rating and comment below.
Grilled Bourbon Pecan Butter Cake
- 1 7 x 12 cedar plank soaked
- 6 eggs separated
- 2 ½ sticks plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1 ½ cups dark brown sugar
- 8 oz. sour cream
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 3 ¼ cups self-rising flour
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 2 cups chopped pecans toasted
- 2 pints vanilla ice cream
- Preheat the grill to 375 degrees, in a medium bowl add the 6 egg whites and beat on medium with a hand mixer, until stiff peaks forms, about 3 minutes.
- In a large bowl, cream 2 ½ stick of butter on medium for 1 minute with a hand mixer. Add the sugar and dark brown sugar, mix on medium for 1 minute. Add the sour cream and bourbon, mix for 30 seconds on medium speed.
- In another bowl mix the flour, nutmeg and pecans together. Pour into batter, mix on low speed for 1 minute. Add the egg whites and fold in with a spatula.
- Take 2 tablespoons of butter and smear evenly over 12-inch cast iron. Pour in batter, tap cast iron a few times to release any air bubbles.
- Once the grill is hot, close all air vents, add the cedar plank and place skillet on top, cover and bake for 35 minutes. Rotate skillet, cover and cook for 20 minutes. Remove and allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving. Serve with vanilla ice cream.