Skillet Strawberry Shortcake
This recipe uses my grandmother’s biscuit recipe over fresh summer strawberries. I love to add some vodka, balsamic and rosemary to strawberries when I get a chance. Enjoy this recipe all summer long!
Skillet Strawberry Cobbler
- 4 cups self-rising flour
- 1/3 cup powdered milk
- 3 tablespoons sugar plus 2 tablespoons
- ½ cup shortening chilled
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 4 lbs. strawberries tops removed, quartered
- 2 rosemary sprigs leaves chopped
- 4 tablespoons vodka
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- juice of 1 lemon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 pint favorite ice cream
- Combine dry ingredients, cut in fat. Make sure dry mix looks like coarse cornmeal. Add wet ingredients and sit to the side.
- In a bowl mix strawberries, rosemary, vodka, brown sugar, balsamic, lemon juice, salt and cornstarch sit to the side.
- Grease a 12 inch cast iron skillet with butter add strawberries to pan. With a ¼ cup dry measuring cup drop biscuits on top, brush with melted butter and sprinkle with remaining sugar. Place in oven for 30-35 minutes or until shortcakes are golden brown.
- Serve with your favorite ice cream.